Planning or PD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi This is my first post so bare with me please.

I am planning to extend my property with a rear single storey extension. This would be an in fill to an L shape property. The L shape has been created by an existing earlier rear extension. The existing has a pitched roof so the new extension would match. All dimensions for the new extension are within PD rules but I am now being told that I need planning permission as the new extension will be attached to the side wall of the existing one plus the rear of the house.

Anyone had similar experience of this situation.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are lining up the rear wall of your new extension with the rear wall of the existing extension - and you are within all the other parameters of permitted development - you would not need planning permission.

You would have needed p.p. if the original extension was built with the house and was less than half the width of the house, but not if the extension is a later addition.

The planning department should treat the proposed and exiting extension as one, and if the 'combined' extension was still within the parameters, it would be p.d.[/u]

If you are lining up the rear wall of your new extension with the rear wall of the existing extension - and you are within all the other parameters of permitted development - you would not need planning permission.

You would have needed p.p. if the original extension was built with the house and was less than half the width of the house, but not if the extension is a later addition.

The planning department should treat the proposed and exiting extension as one, and if the 'combined' extension was still within the parameters, it would be p.d.[/u]

Thanks for your reply Tony

I will be lining up the rear wall with the existing but could you explain this half width bit.

Sponsored Links
Re. the sketch.
An extension is not permitted development if it extends beyond a wall forming part of the side elevation of the house, and is more than one-half the width of the house.

If the earlier extension was in fact original with the house, the wall XX would be a wall forming part of the side elevation of the house (when viewed from the left). As your new extension would be more than one-half the width of the house, it would then not be p.d.

But if the small extension is a later addition (and the original rear wall of the house was in one plane), then you are not extending beyond any original side elevation, and you can go full-width, side-to-side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back