Planning permission - B1 to residential... PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can offer any advice on my situation.

I want to buy a small plot of land which has a property on it. The property is designated as a B1 light industrial unit. The property is essentially a small house, with a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom, with some workshops (basically sheds) built onto the side of the building. However, it's not got planning permission to be used as a dwelling.

It's made entirely of wood and has no foundations. But it's been standing for at least 50 years (despite looking like a large overgrown shed :D ) It's not built to modern standards.

There are hardly any neighbours. There is one house next door built in the same style which is designated as a dwelling.

It has lain dormant for nearly 20 years, so changing its use wouldn't be depriving anyone of employment.

Do I have any hope of getting it changed to residential use?

I saw some news online about new government policy making it easier to convert B1 office space into C3 residential space. Might this policy help B1 light industrial property as well?

How do people get e.g. warehouses changed into residential spaces, or live-work spaces?

If I can't get it changed to residential, what are my rights to just live in it anyway? Could I be forcibly evicted?

Any thoughts or experiences would be very gratefully received :)

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
To be clear, B1 is B1!

B1 building use is use for all or any of the following purposes:

(a) as an office other than a use within class A2 (financial and professional services),

(b) for research and development of products or processes, or

(c) for any industrial process, being a use which can be carried out in any residential area without detriment to the amenity of that area by reason of noise, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, soot, ash, dust or grit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back