Planning Permission or Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently in the process of buying a detached house that was originally a terrace of 3. It was all converted into 1 about 20 years ago.

The plan is to buy the house and split one of the ends back into its own separate dwelling which is how it would have been originally.

In order to do this the work is minimal and would consist off bricking up 2 internal doorways that lead through into the other house. The only other change that would be required would be to put a front door back in its original place which has unfortunately been bricked up. This would be the only change affecting the outside of the building.

I have been advised by different people on this some of who say I would need to do a full planning application and others say I just need to go through building control.

Does anyone know the answer to this? The house is not listed and doesn’t reside in a conservation area.

Many Thanks

Davy

Sponsored Links
I would suspect both need to be involved.
Why not phone both departments tomorrow and ask.

I already tried the planning department and got someone who wasn't sure! They asked about and then decided I need to submit a full application. To be honest it doesn't fill me with confidence. I will try the building control tomorrow to see if I get any more clarity.

Your proposal will require planning permission. You can go from 3 dwellings to 1 without consent but not the other way.

Regards

Rob Duncan

Sponsored Links
Thanks, On a seperate note does anyone know how detailed the drawings will need to be?

Will there need to be drawings of both dwellings or just the new one being created?

Will the drawings have to provide full room layouts or will I just be able to show the section that I am changing. i.e bricking up the internal wall and adding a front door.

Many Thanks

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back