Plaster cracks behind woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 years ago we had a 5kw wood burning stove installed in our living room. We had no chimney breast so it was installed in front of a plaster wall, with a length of uninsulated pipe, followed by twin wall pipe which runs through the ceiling.

Behind the stove is Victas heat resistant plasterboard, and then Victas heat resistant plaster. This is only directly behind the stove. When it was installed, it was left for about two weeks to dry before being painted, and the stove wasn't used for approx another month.

Over the last two months of using the stove, cracks have appeared following the line of the plasterboard. The cracks are getting slightly wider, and I assume it is caused by the plasterboard expanding and contracting as it heats and cools. This is then causing small hairline cracks in the plaster elsewhere in the wall. There are also big cracks appearing directly behind the stove.

Picture are attached showing the stove, and some close ups of the cracks. Should this be happening with heat proof plaster and plasterboard?

Can anyone help with options to resolve? So far I have thought of the following:

I've thought about digging out the cracks and filling with some flexible polyfilla, and then painting over. I'm worried the cracks will just reappear, and also that painting over the flexible polyfilla will look obviously different to the rest of the wall.

Digging out the cracks and filling with normal plaster, in the hopes it has expanded and contracted as much as it will do, but again worried they will reopen.

Tiling straight over the plastered wall and hoping it dissipates the heat enough to avoid the plasterboard expanding and contracting.

Cut a square of plasterboard out of the wall the width of the hearth and slightly taller than the stove, and tile straight onto the brick behind to ensure maximum heat distribution.

What would be the best option?
DSC00166.JPG
DSC00168.JPG
DSC00170.JPG
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00172.JPG

Sponsored Links
Do you know if the boards had been primed as manufacturers instructions.
Anyway as far as repair use Victas heat resistant filler.
I tend to sand/cement render these type of areas.

another option could be to hack out both sides of crack and eml (expanding metal) the bridge between board and brickwork. only way to know is to beak out around weakness to see if tied in enough

Sponsored Links
I assume the boards were primed correctly, but it was the first time the plasterer had used the material. When you say sand/cement render, do you mean instead of plaster? Can u paint over it?
Do you think it would be worth tiling (or stone} straight onto the plaster to reduce the heat transfer? Or would this still result in movement of the plasterboard?

If I was using eml, would have to pull the board out and put it behind the whole width of plaster board, or between the boards that surround the fire? Sorry, but of a noob at plastering

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back