Plasterboard and jaunty angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds cryptic I know- old non-square house and I may have given myself a bit of a challenge with an angled bit of ceiling between wall (more or less vertical) and main ceiling (more or less horizontal). With various features in the wall to get round (couple of buttresses).

Anyway, result is a distinct lack of parallel lines anywhere- the purlin where the ceiling changes angle is not parallel to the front wall, the rafters are not particularly square to the wall or the purlin and aren't particularly parallel either.

Question- has anyone come up with a top bodge to deal with measuring boarding over similar such nightmares, main problem is because nothing is at 90 degrees my usual 2 circles trick doesn't work.

My best idea so far is heavy duty lining paper- offer it up, mark it up, transfer marks to plasterboard, cut and fix. Any other thoughts? (Or do I need to invent a Dragons' Den masterpiece) :)

Ta

Sponsored Links
The way I would attempt this is to designate one line/edge as the reference. Stick you big builders square on it and measure that this other edge is 20 mm (or something) away from the end of the square. Transfer this to the sheet of plaster board. So now you have the angle of that corner. Go back and measure the length of the unsquare wall. If its greater then the width/length of the plaster board go back to the plaster board and draw a line parallel to your first one that runs from edge to edge. Its is easier to do then to describe. One thing is to double check that you have marked out the shape of the "right" hand, i.e. its not upside down.
I have made a large adjustable angle for this sort of thing (mainly for window splays). Two bits of 2" X1", say 2' long. Drill both exactly through their centre, 1" from and end, put a bolt through the hole and a washer and wing nut on the other. Before you use it, remove material from each bit so when they open up, there is not a bit of the other piece of wood sticking out.
Frank

Cheers Frank- I've been pondering the adjustable angle thing, time to make myself one I reckon. With a slight refinement- half mortice at the bolted end so both bits sit flat on the ceiling/piece to reduce errors when transferring angle from wall to board.

And yeah, right hand. Hmph, just as well Celotex is foil covered both sides, that's all I'm saying about that :)

Sponsored Links
Congratulations on using "jaunty" :first time in a very long time (for me )to read that (although unsure about its usage in this context )

Addendum. Irritant feature with this job was the kick in this ceiling (from horizontal to 30 degrees ish) no noggins so papered edge of plasterboard required but the line of the kick is not perpendicular to anything.

Measured and faffed and did all sorts- ended up cutting the first section (running from the non-perp purlin to the non-perp kick) 50mm oversize in each plane then pencil marking and trimming to size (after multiple offerings to the ceiling).

Next bits used the square and add/subtract offset for angles- worked surprisingly well. Took forever and I'm just going 'la la la' at the wastage level (around 20%) but it's done now.

Congratulations on using "jaunty" :first time in a very long time (for me )to read that (although unsure about its usage in this context )
Very common in the theatrical world- usually to indicate something that stands out for whatever reason. Rakish would also do but doesn't sound quite so caddish :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back