plasterboard is not same depth all across

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i am trying to repair a ceiling which had a hole in it. I have put up some plasterboard but the plasterboard is lower in one place than it is in others
http://s21.postimg.org/bdq6mx4lj/2015_02_08_18_24_30.jpg

https://youtu.be/A-vkja0kGEo

Please excuse the low quality video. Common sense says the plasterboard should be in line with the old plasterboard. But there doesnt look like there will be any real depth of artex. Does the depth need to be uniform all across? If so does that mean i will need to try to lower or higher part of the board.

Sponsored Links
The object is to end with a flat surface the same depth, this will be difficult as you have artex. You will also have to tape the joint or it will just push inside and crack or not fill. I would have probably cut two pieces and overlapped on the inside, then tape the centre and have a decent thickness of plaster to bring it to the level you have now, then once dried use artex to match the pattern and bring to equal depth.

Have to say Artex is horrid.

If your skimming over the whole ceiling, then just tape joints and away you go. Good luck in getting it On the ceiling, then looking nice, smooth and level. Much hard that a trades makes it look.

So with the artex surrounding the new piece of plasterboard i put up.
http://s27.postimg.org/nr01hp1nn/2015_02_08_23_25_47.jpg

do i just sand down the artex to the plasterboard, then use joint tape on the joint between the old plasterboard and the new piece of plasterboard i put up?

Also, will i have to fill the gaps in the joints with anything before using the joint tape?

Thanks

where ever or however you create a gap / joint you need to apply the tape / grim roll in order the plaster or artex if you want to use that will actually push through and bind into the gap and therefore less chance of showing itself. You will do well to match into existing. It may be much nicer (in my opinion) to get someone in and put a skim right over the whole ceiling to rid yourself of the ghastly artex.

you also really need something solid behind the joints, i note you must have put something in to screw the board to, hope you have it covering the joint, or it will not be very strong, kids bouncing on the floor above, it will soon show itself even if you use tape. It needs to be as solid as you can make it.

Sponsored Links
The new plasterboard is attached to the joist with drywall screws. I asked in the shop what screws i need to put plasterboard into a joist and he gave me those ones. The floor above is in the attic people rarely go up there so i should be okay with that.

Depending on which way your joists run mean at least two of the joints are not supported and maybe all sides. Dont be surprised if or should i say when they re - appear. All the plaster will be wanting to fill the void above.

It will crack. When your roof moves, the joists will flex, the ceiling will be stressed, and cracks will appear. Tape spreads the stress so it does not concentrate at the join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back