Plasterboard Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My living room ceiling is in a mess, the last owner papered the ceiling, I have taken all the paper off and underneath it seems to be plasterboard without any covering (the board is down to the brown rough paper.

I have decided to start again and rip this down as some parts of the ceiling where the water tank was upstairs has leaked water and blown out a large area.

I will do this myself but are there any health related risks to this, its going to be quite dusty, did plasterboard back in the old day contain any nasties like asbestos?

Any tips for ripping it down as quickly as possible without causing to much dust?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I dont think there are any health risks with old Plaster-board, but I would take the obvious precautions as if there was a risk. As for the dust factor it really depends on what is lying on top of the plaster-board between the joists. So while you are taking precautions , just keep to the same guide lines as before . There is no quick and easy way to take down p/b unless you can get above it and "kick" it down. I usually use a crow bar and poke it thru the board and pull down, but make sure of the gap inbetween p/b and floor above..What ever way you do it prepare for a messy job..Good Luck And keep your mask on!!!!!

Are you sure there is not a lath and plaster ceiling above it?
Would be easier / cleaner / quicker to overboard it for the sake of loosing half and inch.

yes i would definately overboard with another layer of plasterboard . re-fix existing ceiling first . then mark where rafters are and fix new boards using screws long enough to go through both boards and well into timbers . you/ll be supprised how much easier,cleaner this is

Sponsored Links
yes i would definately overboard with another layer of plasterboard . re-fix existing ceiling first . then mark where rafters are and fix new boards using screws long enough to go through both boards and well into timbers . you/ll be supprised how much easier,cleaner this is
As Roy says, I don’t know of any asbestos hazard associated with plasterboard but you wouldn’t believe the muck & dust that you will bring down with it so a decent mask is essential. I would go with over boarding if you can, far less work & a lot less messy than ripping it all down & who’s going to notice 12mm or so! If you’ve got an area that really is shot, remove that bit & stick some 50mm wide plasterboard packing strips to the joists with a bit of grab adhesive, overboard tape & skim; but use screws not nails.

Well its done, I pulled the whole lot down. It was not that bad the whole boards were coming down in one piece.
As someone stated most of the dust was sitting on top of the boards.
Got a few visits to the tip now.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back