Plasterboard sits proud of frame...but its not that simple..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening!

Just a quick message for a little bit of advice. The plasterers have left after two days work, the finish is great with nice smooth lines, edges and curves so cant knock them there.

One point however is that the new boards and skim sit proud of the door frames in places, which isnt too much of a problem until I realised that on some of the doors it isnt the same depth all the way down.

It may be fairly out near the top, run to near nowhere out in the middle of the length and then back to quite out near the bottom.

How do I go about getting this all straight before fitting the architrave? I obviously dont want to fill with a piece of wood and then for the architrave not to sit flush on the plaster...

THoughts on a postcard...

Sponsored Links
And have you paid the plasterers for leaving you with such undulating walls?

And have you paid the plasterers for leaving you with such undulating walls?

I am all new to this, I havent paid them yet. Is this something that they should address in the initial stages of boarding? I am genuinely happy with the finish elsewhere but the inconsistency around the door frames is going to cause me issues.

If it is a problem with the initial plastering job, how do I go about getting it rectified? Is there something that they can do to rectify the problem easily?

Sponsored Links
A few more details of what the job was might help. The way that you've worded it implies that they laid new boards either on top of the existing plaster or after stripping it back to studwork and/or brickwork.

Apologises. I took all of the old plaster off and the plasterers came in and dab and boarded and skimmed in order to get a good finish.

Ive just took a few pics and hope these help explain.

Image 1 = Proud approximately 15mm
Image 2 = Proud approximately 5mm
Image 3 = Proud approximately 10mm

This is all on the same side of one door frame. If it were say 15mm proud all the way around I could fill with a strip of wood and then tack the architrave onto this but the differing depths will make it difficult to do this.

Do the pictures make my poor explanation easier to see?

img33271k.jpg

img33291.jpg

img33261.jpg

I think you will have to fill out the frame with wood to the thickest part of the boarding ie. 15mm. then get them back and tell them to sort the plaster out to it. They should of realised that there were architraves to go on after they had finished, and they should of bought it out to a fair line.... I'm sure if they were dot and dabbing they had enough tolerance on your walls to work to the door frames, out of interest get yourself a long straight edge and put it against the walls they have done to see how straight they are...A pic would be good....

Place a small piece of timber to 'bring out' the door frame level with the plaster and refit the architrave.
(Do this around the complete door frame.)

I have seen this done many times. The plasterers may even sugest this to you.

Andy

Place a small piece of timber to 'bring out' the door frame level with the plaster and refit the architrave.
(Do this around the complete door frame.)

I have seen this done many times. The plasterers may even sugest this to you.

Andy

Hey Andy,

I had the same thought but if I get a piece of timber and put this all the way around at say for example the 15mm depth then when I fit the architrave at some poits it will be fine but at others there will be a gap and a rather large on at that in between the architrave and the plaster due to the board sitting less proud which is going to look unsightly.

I think you will have to fill out the frame with wood to the thickest part of the boarding ie. 15mm. then get them back and tell them to sort the plaster out to it. They should of realised that there were architraves to go on after they had finished, and they should of bought it out to a fair line.... I'm sure if they were dot and dabbing they had enough tolerance on your walls to work to the door frames, out of interest get yourself a long straight edge and put it against the walls they have done to see how straight they are...A pic would be good....

I think this will be the ideal result. Fit timber to the thickest part and get them to make it good to that level. It's the only way I can see me getting a flush finish with the architrave now.

I'll grab a piece of timber later and get a photo taken...

That's an absolute bodge. It's not even smooth. Were they Brit tradesmen?

That's an absolute bodge. It's not even smooth. Were they Brit tradesmen?

They were Brits indeed. When you say it isn't smooth where do you mean. The walls themselves seem smooth it's just the bit around the doors that as I say seems uneven.

Joe what would be your recommendation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back