Plasterboard without skim?

I agree plastered walls do offer a more durable surface than ones that have been dry walled and taped jointed but I've seen bad work from both types of application and it's a shame.
I think it's because that the people wishing to get into this type of trade, find it easier to do the dry walling compared to the plastering, but as in both cases if you don't care enough, have the skill or patience to apply all application from boarding, basecoats, fillers, finshing coats, final scims/applications and sanding etc... You should not be doing it as a tradesman.
Sometimes I wonder how the painters manage!

As a diyer if I think the OP will find it easier providing they apply the boards correctly, to joint tape as it allows the application to be sanded and replied if any defects, easier than that of plaster.

I'd always try to get the walls plastered, the ceilings I have no problem with as far as joint taping as less likely to incur damage with house traffic.

I hate sanding :mad:

Sponsored Links
Absolute tosh Muzz. I'll tell you where all the joints/nailheads etc are in any plasterboard wall or ceiling, no matter how well they've been taped, so could the rest on here with "plastering experience",,,,,,, and Dario there's no comparison between a taped surface, and a plastered surface. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

same here.
I'll 3rd that one, absolute tosh & you don’t even have to be a plasterer to spot the difference; if you cant tell the difference then either your spread was crap or it probably doesn’t matter anyway but in no way can you compare the 2 finishes; get it skimmed but by someone who can actually do a proper job.

Just noticed I was 4th :rolleyes: :LOL:

ffs, you have clearly misinterpreted my post.

if you read my post I state "I'm not a pro" so no one reads my post as anything more than opinion from a diy'er.

i also said "I can't tell the differerence" I did not say a pro or someone experienced could not tell the differernce, nor did i say taping was better than skimming.

The purpose of my post was merely to indicate to someone who seemed like a diy'er that as a diyer myself who tried doing something similar with no prior experience, i got acceptable results, therfore it is possible they may get acceptable results.

I didn't skim as it would be beyond my ability, plus I like to learn how to do new stuff. If i didn't care or had the money, i would happily pay a pro and get them to skim it.

I've found some good help on this forum, so do not see any problem in relating my personal diy experiences, after all this is diy forum.

Advice from the pro's or experienced is great but surely it's also usefull to know what's worked for a diy'er so people can decide whether to call in the pro's or not?

I see people getting jumped on all the time on this place, sometimes rightly so, sometimes not but I think your response to my post was unduly harsh.

For some reason, everyone seems to want to blame me for this one when I was actually one of the last to comment :cry: . If you also read my later comments, you will see I was mainly concerned with Darios comment about "skimming being a stupid thing to do"; some of his advice on this forum to date is suspect to say the least. :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, your post sounds like you made a decent job of it ;) but I would also have to agree with Roughcaster’s comments about being able to spot them :LOL: .

For some reason, everyone seems to want to blame me for this one when I was actually one of the last to comment :cry: . If you also read my later comments, you will see I was mainly concerned with Darios comment about "skimming being a stupid thing to do"; some of his advice on this forum to date is suspect to say the least. :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, your post sounds like you made a decent job of it ;) but I would also have to agree with Roughcaster’s comments about being able to spot them :LOL: .

sorry, wasn't singling you out, i just used your post as it included some of the other posts.

i don't dispute a pro or experienced eye would see it, i merely think my job looks pretty tidy and taping worked for me. hopefully in time it will stay looking good.

i also appreciate the experienced people here are trying to save others from the bad advice from "experts", hence why i tried to make word my post clear that it was a diy effort.

Sponsored Links
I didn't pick on you Muzz it's all the rest of them that are the nasties :evil:
:LOL:
I have already offered my thoughts on previous posts, so no need to repeat them.
I hope we are all hear to try to either, help, be helped or a bit of both.

I don't think anyone was having a dig at anyone, just offering an opinion and I think there was some valid ones, just hope the OP cared to read them ;)

What ever you do Muzz don't step in to the realms of the electrical or plumbing forums, that can get nasty :evil:
and RC you do a champion job, find your views and post most help.

Yes,, it got out of hand a bit Muzz,, i never read your post properly, as being from a diyer's point of view. You're right to be chuffed with the results you've acheived with your taping. There's a pint on it's way down to you. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back