plasterboard without the need for skimming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all can i get plasterboard without the need for skimming? i also want to blend in with existing embossed paper along side it.

i would have thought the new plasterboard would have to be a bit thicker that the existing plasterboard to blend in as the existing has plaster already on it.

is this available if so where? i have wickes,selco,b&q homebase all nearby

thanks

Sponsored Links
If your after a pre plastered plasterboard, your out of luck.
The boards will either need to be plaster finished or joint taped, in situ.
If you joint taped, the board you will use is called a tapered edge board.
The whole board is not covered as in plastering, but taped at the joints and filled out, using a joint compound in the area of the joint and sanded down, untill flat and smooth.
Your best bet is if you want it all to blend in, is use the method that was used originally. Plasterboard and plaster finish.

My apologies what I meant to say was without the need for skimming. I have edited the title. I need a plastered finish really as will be papered over. My only concern is the thickness of new plasterboard and old with plasterboardwith plaster. I'm wondering if the tapered type is thicker than normal plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
There is a 15mm plasterboard but this is square edged and usually used on ceilings to alleviate having to use noggings, so not suitable.

Agree that *best* way is to copy existing work.........

Actually it is for a ceiling where is this available from?
You can get both square edge and tapered edge, 15mm plasterboards, not sure what that is in old money could be 3/5th or an old groat :confused:
Anyway they will not be plaster finished, such a product does not exist to my knowledge.
Your best bet is to contact your local builders merchant and see if they stock them, which is unlikely or if they can order them in.
If that fails call British Gypsum and ask who is their nearest stockist.
British Gypsum Contact

wouldnt it just be easier to get normal 12mm boards srtip the paper either side of the hole back to the next joint, put new boards up skim and feather intoexisting plaster then run your new paper seamlessly. saves you haveing to order special boards and it mabey not working out.
it sounds like alot of hard work but its really not i promise

well im going to put up the plasterboard up myself, and i need to keep the cost down. its on a landing doesnt have to be A1

Im no good at plastering at t he best of times and on a ceiling forget it, lol
to get a plasterer in to do this i guess will cost a lot its not a big ceiling most plasterers wont bother.

It's going to cost you a few quid to get a pro in to do the job, at the end of the day it's your home and you wanting it looking in good order.
You could be having a go at it yourself, after you have bought the materials, tools, hired or bought or borrowed working platforms, cleaned up the mess and your not guaranteed you will make a nice, neat finish of it and would have wasted your valuable time and money on a dogs arse of a job.
Would it not be better to bite the bullet and get someone in and let them get their hands mucky while you have a cuppa.

If it is not a big ceiling, why bother to join the old part with the new one? If you are going to do the work yourself, just knock down the old ceiling, put tapered plasterboard, tape it and paint (or hang wallpaper if you prefer).

If it is not a big ceiling, why bother to join the old part with the new one? If you are going to do the work yourself, just knock down the old ceiling, put tapered plasterboard, tape it and paint (or hang wallpaper if you prefer).
That's a fair point, depending how big your landing is and the ease of access to the working area and how competent you are at tape jointing, if you are a complete novice at tape jointing, your ceiling will look terrible once the light shines on it.
I would personally strip the wall paper off, replace what part of the ceiling that needs to be replaced, providing remainder of ceiling is in good, sound condition.
Then skim the whole lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back