Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just ripped out an old en-suite, and I'm planning a complete refurb.

There was two sets of tiles to remove, and this caused the majority of the plaster to fall from the wall. I removed the rest, and Im now back to brick on two walls. The other two are stud partition/plasterboard.

Can I just dot and dab plasterboard sheet straight to the brickwork, and would I be better using a waterproof board?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can I just dot and dab plasterboard sheet straight to the brickwork and would I be better using a waterproof board?
The major manufacturers make water resistant plasterboard not waterproof; use this in high humidity environments such as bathrooms & en-suites etc. not ordinary wall board. But don’t use it in permanently wet areas such as behind/adjacent to the bath or in a shower cubicle; you should either tank these areas or use a cement tile backer board such as Aquapanel (or similar) instead.

Plasterboard can be dot & dabbed onto brickwork but the cement backer board manufacturer’s state it’s not a suitable method of fixing for their products & recommend screw fixing onto battens. You can, however, successfully dot & dab cement board as long as you fix through the board & adhesive dabs afterwards to securely hold it in place; I & others have successfully used this method many times & there is more detailed information in the archive posts so do a search & have a read.

For the tiling, use only quality trade products not the DIY shed stuff; water proof adhesive & flexible grout. I only ever use BAL products; they are expensive by comparison but will guarantee a job that will last.

Many thanks for the detailed reply Richard.

I have decided to use battens now on one wall to accommodate services, so I can fix the water resistant type board to these.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back