Plasterboarding bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to board out bathroom with moisture resistant plasterboard so have a few questions. I have read that moisture resistant board is unsuitable for plastering so presume standard board with a plaster skim coat is ok for the ceiling.
I planned to tank the shower cubicle and bath areas, is this still recommended with moisture board.
Lastly, after I have taped the joints whats best to use to fill the joints.

Sponsored Links
Who told you moisture resistant boards can't be plastered?
You can buy tapered edge boards and fill the edge out, using self adhesive scrim tape and jointing compound, do you intend to tile this area?
But if you was plastering again self adhesive tape and plaster finish over the whole board.

Any areas of board that are getting tiled should be taped and filled with a decent tile adhesive, better than using a jointing compound as adhesive doesn't stick well to it

Tank the Shower area with a tanking membrane, do not use a paste on waterproofer like WP1, use Kerdi or Homelux membrane, it's very easy to use, once installed run a bead of silicone where the membrane meets the Tray.

Final bit of advice, use a quality Single part adhesive, much better than these ready mixed.

Read it somewhere on the internet, but can't remember where, just had a look at the british gypsum website and they say you can so you are correct, thanks. The walls will be tiled floor to ceiling with travertine. Is it really neccessary to use moisture board for the ceiling when it's being skimmed and painted.

Sponsored Links
Wait a minute,what's the weight of these tiles Per square metre?

size of tiles might give us an idication.

Wait a minute,what's the weight of these tiles Per square metre?

size of tiles might give us an idication.

The travertine tiles are 457mm x 305mm and 12mm thick, I'm sure I've read that travertine onto dot and dabbed plasterboard will be ok.

You'll probably be OK although your tiles do exceed the weight limit for a plasterboard wall.

Bal suggest that a 10mm natural stone tile weighs 32 kg per sq/metre + Adhesive of around 4kg per metre.

Backer board would be better though

You can skim the boards, but remember the bond of adhesive to board or to skim is less strong than the bond of finish to board - so if you are covering the wall with tiles, it makes no sense to skim it.

You'll probably be OK although your tiles do exceed the weight limit for a plasterboard wall.

Bal suggest that a 10mm natural stone tile weighs 32 kg per sq/metre + Adhesive of around 4kg per metre.

Backer board would be better though

The travertine tiles weigh 3.6kg each and there are 7 to a meter which works out at 25.2 per sq M so even if I allow 4kg for adhesive and grout I will be well within 32kg per sqM. I think BAL must be talking about the granite or something as travertine is much lighter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back