plasterer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wonder if any body can give me some advice regarding the work of a plasterer i have employed.Basically i needed all the bedrooms in a flat i have recently purchased skimmed and ceilings boarded and the bathroom walls patched.I have had simular work carried out with other plasterers with no problems but on this occasion i have not been happy with this guys work.For example on the ceiling on i can see the outline of the boards,he has tried to patch the existing plaster in the bathroom on the walls but they finish at different levels so there is a ridge..The other thing is he has put no floor coverings down and so all the floors have been covered by plaster.Also he told me it would take 2 weeks to complete but after 5days he has almost finished.The problem is i don't live at the flat so i can't keep an eye on the progress,however i am meeting him on Sat to try and sort out this mess.
The help i need is if he refuses to correct the work i am not happy with what should i pay him.He quoted 2200 for the 2 weeks work

Sponsored Links
At the moment, DON'T pay him. Go and get opinions from 2 or 3 reputable local plasterers. Get them to come to the house, see the work that's been done, show them the mess made, tell them the timescale he stated, (2 weeks), then ask them what they would charge for the job.
Don't tell them what he's quoted until after you get their idea of the cost. You can also get advice from Trading Standards.

Thanks for your reply.We did get 3 quotes from the outset and his price was about right and they all said it would take about 2 weeks.I just feel that as the trade normally estimate on how long it takes to do a job then why should i pay the full amount if it only takes him half the time to do the work

Question that with the plasterers then. Say,,, you quoted me for 2 weeks work, but did it in one week.
Contact Trading Standards as i said earlier, they'll advise you. I still wouldn't pay till you've asked T/Standards.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the time is relevant if you were quoted for the job, especially if the other qoutes were about the same price. If he took longer you would not pay him more.

What matters is the quality of work. You need to show that it us substandard.I woukd not oay a penny until it was put right. If you can't trust him to rectify it then get others inBut get legal advice..

The time on the job has very little to do with it, you asked for a particular amount of work to be done and it may be that this guy had a gang of lads in, to have it completed quicker than stated. The issue is the standard of work, I never understand when people complain that work was completed quicker than originally stated or start breaking down the charge against time on the job, rather than the fact that work requested has been completed.

The time spent on site is not important, if he was there for 4 weeks would you of paid him £4400?

The main thing is the quality of the work that needs to be put right or money deducted and costed to put right.

Don't be alone there when you meet him.

Andy

As the lads are saying, if you get a price for a job, then the time spent is not the issue.

It's only if you are paying a day rate that you might have an issue.

This is why it is always best to get a fixed price for the job.

Your issue is quality, not time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back