Plastering a bare wall? Do I need a new plasterer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

just a quickie.

I have removed a load of wall tiles from the kitchen of a 50's built house. The tiles were stuck to the wall using cement so I gunned the whole lot off back to bare brick.

The plaster on the top half is passable but my plasterer reckons it best to remove the lot.

Trouble is, he then wants to Dot & Dab plasterboard to the clean brick and skim over where as I would have expected bonding and finish coat would be correct.

Could there be any reason for suggesting board, do you think?

Sponsored Links
Could there be any reason for suggesting board, do you think?
A lot easier, quicker and less potential mess made.
Materials cost will be little more expensive but that will more than stack up on time saying.
And dependant on the experience the plasterer, your walls will end up flat and straight.

Thanks for that.

I have had some bad experiences with poor & untrustworthy (but cheap) plasterers in the past but this chap is around the same price as others.

I'll just let him do what he knows to do then. :)

AND

I'd best get some longer screws for the kitchen wall units, too. :LOL:

I'd best get some longer screws for the kitchen wall units, too. :LOL:
If you already have a kitchen design or planned, and have a good idea where the units will be mounted, then ask the plasterer to make provisions for this.
I normally put a line of adhesive along the fixing line of the units. This will offer much better support for the units, without compromising the boards.

Sponsored Links
Tell him to render it first with sand and cement in a place were you get heat and moisture it will last for many years once it's rendered put on a skim

since the introduction of dot&dab and dry lining and the construction industry not giving opportunities ie apprentiships to train new plasterers . sadly some of the basic plastering skills have diminished. this is now the norm.

Tell me about it ! The town where my son lives is having hundreds ( literaly) of new builds going up - All dot+ dab . He`s been through a slow patch for a few months . Now @ last it`s picking up and he`s plastering a number of new Council Houses :eek: Yes they are actually being built in Crowboro`. Not too far to travel . The good thing is that as time goes by there won`t be enough skilled plasterers and he might be OK in the future .

Sponsored Links
Back