plastering a block internal doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had an internal doorway breezeblocked up and want to plaster both sides now.

First, is it a cheap enough job to get a plasterer in to do it? How much would it cost?

Second, is it a job a first timer could do? Ive not plastered before but id have a go, its my house and in gonna paper over it so it doesnt have to be perfect. Do you put bonding agent on, then a rough coat, then a smooth finish coat? Or can you bond it, then get a one coat finish mix? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just plasterboard and then skim it or tape and fill the joints. If you do really want to have a go at plastering then plasterboard and skim would be the best time to try, if it does go wrong then it's only a small to fix. (Not saying it will go wrong just giving the options)

Ta mate, sounds doable I reckon. So how do I stick the plasterboard to the block? Just to be sure.

And does plasterboard come in different thicknesses?

You can dot and dab the board on using plasterboard adhesive.

9.5mm and 12.5mm are the common sizes, 12.5 would be better.

Sponsored Links
Looking at it one side theres not much difference between the block and existing wall, probably 5-10mm max, not enough for plasterboard or it would be sticking out if you know what I mean.

Ok re think then lol. Use hardwall as the backing, rule the surface out to an even finish leaving 2-3mm for your skim coat of coarse, then lightly scratch the surface to provide a key for the skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back