plastering over plasterboard adhesive!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please forgive me if this sounds stupid but here goes.

i have boarded out my porch by dot & dabbing the 12.5 mm boards onto the brick. it was very awkward and some of the gaps needed filling where the boards met. :oops: as i had some adhesive left over i filled the gaps with it. SO can you plaster over the small areas? , will it crack?.do i pva the area first?. a little confused sorry.

Sponsored Links
not massive about 1/2 inch max, in straight lines , some are a little thinner. feel a prat if its wrong. i was going to use bonding plaster but tried a short cut. naughty i know

Those are pretty big gaps sheldon.

I would certainly not have filled them with daub as it shrinks back when drying, bonding would have been much better as this does not.

Theres no guarantee they wont crack as they are big. But since im guessing ripping the whole lot down is not an option i would tape your gaps with self adhesive tape(skrim tape) floor to ceiling, at least three times and hope for the best.

The other option would be to cut down eighter side of the gaps, (eg cut out the board where your joints are) Gently knock out the dab Then dab in a new piece of neatly cut board and get the gaps nice and tight. You could have dabbed in a thin piece of board, but you filled them.

Next time just take your time and get the boards nice and tight against one another. - Prevention is much better then cure!

Sponsored Links
I would say board adhesive shrinks less than bonding.

Tape the joints and skim.

Half inch is not a problem, not even close.

hi sheldon theres not much wrong with what you done m8 you could use either to tell the truth do as nosall says once its skimmed it should be fine

When I dot and dab I some times tape and skim the joints with plasterboard adhesive that I have left in the bucket and have built out areas that would have needed bonding or such(with no problems after skimming). As where I am based we cant get square edged boards, so I will always tape and skim and unibond before actually plastering. I have been using board adhesive for years as a joint and tape over fill and unibonding before I plaster so there's no problem using it to do your joints with.. ;)

Thanks for all your replies guys. I will pva and skrim the dab and then 2 coats of multiskim. Can u please confirm that you don't need to pva plasterboard?

drywall adhesive is perfect for this sort of thing. I use it for all my building out work rather than using that hatefull stuff you old boys use called bonding. Whoever invented that stuff wants shooting. Nearly every remedial job i go to is because of this stuff. The old boys loved it back in the day and i suppose its a good thing cause its keepin the new generation in work putting right the bodges from the 60's 70's and 80's.
Dab is a much better alternative and its nicer to skim on but the lads are right by saying to pva first. Id go as far as saying its the 8th wonder of the world, its right up there with the crazy foam. The options are endless with the stuff...... Ive always used it for this sort of thing and the finish on my plaster is exceptionally perfect but I am good. Go for it lad skim it and take no notice of anyone tellin you any different.
You will be impressed.

drywall adhesive is perfect for this sort of thing. I use it for all my building out work rather than using that hatefull stuff you old boys use called bonding. Whoever invented that stuff wants shooting. Nearly every remedial job i go to is because of this stuff. The old boys loved it back in the day and i suppose its a good thing cause its keepin the new generation in work putting right the bodges from the 60's 70's and 80's.
Dab is a much better alternative and its nicer to skim on but the lads are right by saying to pva first. Id go as far as saying its the 8th wonder of the world, its right up there with the crazy foam. The options are endless with the stuff...... Ive always used it for this sort of thing and the finish on my plaster is exceptionally perfect but I am good. Go for it lad skim it and take no notice of anyone tellin you any different.
You will be impressed.

Quite informative.

And yes dwa is good stuff but it takes an age to go off. :rolleyes:

Good things come to those who wait.
The dab can be plastered over after a couple of hours but the patch will obviously take an extra day longer to dry for painting, depending on the thickness.
Id rather that than battle up against the mighty suction of the browning which when applied as patches in between plasterboard and such scenarios actually effects the finish on the plaster whereas the dab dont. Its just like skimming a board.
Skimming on browning once dry = hose pipes at the ready.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back