Plastering Over Tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting my back kitchen tiled and had mulitiple quotes.some of them are saying yes you can plaster over tile and the others are saying you cant.can anyone tell me for sure if they have ever done it or if you can do it.
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I can't belive any plasterer would reccomend plastering over a ceramic tile. I might stand corrected but I don't think this is possible.

i was thinking this but some were saying you can do it,and some are saying you use a special bond caled gipbond or something and then you can do it.

Why take the chance. The room is being plastered. I would smack them off.

Sponsored Links
cause i have fitted the kitchen i didnt think i was gonna get the walls done and fitted a false ceiling so there would be all little bits hanging down which would be hard to remove.also there is a gap behind the worktops were the wall are out and i want to put splashbacks on but cant cause the gap is too big.if tiles got left on and then skimmed it would make the gap smaller and then i could get splashback on

Then the only two choices you have is plaster over the tiles and it may work ok. This may leave you with making good around the units and ceiling. Its a messy game.
You may not want to hear this sugestion but if your wanting to make a decent job of it.
Remove the kitchen.

removing the kitchen to me is not a option i am not removing all the plumbing hob cooker etc.is there anyone who has had this done or done it before and its been ok :confused:

if the tiles are stuck solid clean them and apply bond-it and skim 24 hours later ;) its not something i would do or advise but its possible and in your position the way your looking for :LOL:

i got the name of it now he said its called jipbonds and he said it would set to glass if you wanted.

I've never plastered onto tiling, but I know it can be done, If you cant find jipbond you can use SBR, cement, and some sand, mixed up to a thick paint consistency. good luck

paulandlaura said:
I can't belive any plasterer would reccomend plastering over a ceramic tile. I might stand corrected but I don't think this is possible.
you can walk through miles of corridors in an asylum in Sussex and the whole lot has had tiles covered with a plaster skim.......just another way the Gov. spent your money before they closed the place and brought in care in the community ;) :LOL:

paulandlaura said:

He didn't recommend it - he said that it could be done. So you are corrected.

If you can tile over tile - why can't you plaster?

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back