Plastering under tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am creating a bathroom in my house and one wall is solid stone, with lime render. I am going to fit moisture resistant board to this wall, and a friend has told me that the wall should be plastered before it is tiled (ceramic tiles). My question is, does the wall need to be plastered or can the tiles be put directly on the moisture resistant board ?

Sponsored Links
plastering is a waste of time and money. plasterboard is a better surface for tiling. you need to prime it first for most adhesives.

word of warning though, your better off still with a backerboard - they are much better for wet areas, MR plasterboard will need tanking really

plastering is a waste of time and money. plasterboard is a better surface for tiling. you need to prime it first for most adhesives.

word of warning though, your better off still with a backerboard - they are much better for wet areas, MR plasterboard will need tanking really

Hi I'm using aqual panel for the immediate shower area but the rest of the room will be moisture resistant board (I've bought it now).

Can you suggest a primer? I've used BAL before but even a small tub is quite expensive

Sponsored Links
that sounds perfect - aqua board in the shower\wet areas is ideal.

Primer wise, your usually best following the adhesive manufacturer, but any acrylic bonding agent will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back