Plastic Cladding for Bathroom Ceiling - A Few Questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big hello to all from a long time reader, first time poster.

We are in the midst of a complete bathroom replacement and overhaul. This is a pretty major project which also involves the knocking down of some interior walls and some bathroom gadgets! (TV, networked music system, infrared toilet flush, remote controlled shower etc. etc.)

I will post photos up and/or create a youtube video once finished.

In the meantime the ceiling is down and ready for replacement. Friends of ours have suggested we use gloss plastic cladding instead of plasterboard as this gives an outstanding finish. We are pretty much sold on the idea as it would give clean lines, high gloss finish and easily wipeable for cleaning.

(i) I would be interested in finding out if anyone on here has epxerience with these types of panels,and whether there are any pros and cons.

(ii) Would also like to know what adhesive I should use to stick the panels to the joists.

(iii) If there is a reommended supplier of this type of cladding in the West Yorkshire area?

(iv) been told the plastic is quite weak/flimsy. How best do we cope with items such as lights and ceiling mounted speakers?

(v) Can anyone recommend some high quality 240v downlighters (flush mount spotlights) which could be installed in the plastic ceiling? I guss it's a heat issuemore than anything. We don't want the plastic to melt.

Sorry for all these questions but your help is very VERY much appreciated.

Cheers

Kyle

Sponsored Links
ii) Depends on what plastic the panels are made from. You need to chose first: plastic is just too generic a term. Would imagine the suppliers would propose the correct material. It is after all, an additional, easy sale.

v) Have no experience myself , but recall reading in Electrical forum that even if you buy the lights approved for mounting in flammable materials, the heat is still likely to discolour the plastic.

This would now be avoidable with LED's

If you get little response here, you might actually be better asking in that forum as lots of those guys are confronted with those problems and have to find solutions.

Be wary of mentioning spot-lights, they will probably stone you for that :cool:

Out of interest, are there special TV's for bathrooms ?

Sponsored Links
Would imagine it will increase condensation and this would cause staining.That's apart from it looking awful IMO.

best way to mount ceiling boards is to cross batten, then screw fix the "plastic" ceiling boards as for lights, a think your best bet is to ask in the electic section as for a supplier of boards, i personally know the guy who owns this firm, and used to do all his fitting and can say the quality of the product is outstanding!http://www.titan-panels.com/

Friends of ours have suggested we use gloss plastic cladding instead of plasterboard as this gives an outstanding finish.
Outstandingly poor more like.

We are pretty much sold on the idea as it would give clean lines, high gloss finish and easily wipeable for cleaning.
All useless attributes.
A plastered & painted ceiling also gives clean lines - and will look far better than cladding as there are no seams or gaps.
High gloss finish - presumably for those people who also have mirrors on the ceilings?
Cleaning - really, who actually gets up there and cleans their ceilings? How exactly is the ceiling going to get dirty anyway? (unless it's plastic of course, which will attract dust, and then when you wipe it with a cloth, static electricity will be generated which will attract dust even more).

If you were thinking of mould prevention or making it easier to remove mould, you are fixing the wrong problem. Mouldy ceilings occur due to lack of ventilation - changing the ceiling material won't make any difference.

The plastic cladding turned out good in the end. Went for the IPSL gloss panels with 4x 35W recessed fire rated downlights running off a Sensorbility touch sensor located behind a glass tile:

IMG_4249.jpg

Ceiling.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

That looks like a great job mate and you should be well pleased :cool:
P.S Leurrrrrve the nail varnish :p Matches me eyes ;)
John :)

Is the ceiling as shown the plastic ceiling as purchased without any fillers whatever ?

If it is, looks very impressive .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back