Plastic or brass piping to Baxi central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present and working OK I have a 14/15 year old Potterton Suprima 40 central heatng boiler that is on a service agreement with British Gas.
Recently I was warned by British Gas that spare parts were getting short for this model and that they could not guarantee its repair in future.
There are two plastic pipes around 1 inch in diameter into the Potterton boiler presumably for water in and water out.
I am thinking replacing Potterton boiler (before it breaks down for good) with a Baxi Solo boiler but have been told that plastic pipes to the old boiler will have to be replace with the first metre of piping out of the new boiler made of brass.
I have been told British Gas inspectors will not pass it if the new boiler is connected to plastic pipes.
Could someone tell me if this is true and the reason please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take no notice of british gas, there should still be plenty of parts available for a good while yet.
But it shouldn't have plastic straight to the boiler, it's always recommended that the first metre at least be run in copper (not brass).

British Gas are getting nervous that it's going to start costing them more than they're taking off you in contract payments, clearly. Time to bin them off and get a proper reliable local engineer in instead. Put the money you would have spent on the BG contract into the bank ready for a rainy day and you'll be better off in the long run

The Suprima isn't a bad boiler, save for a slightly shaky PCB, and I'd be inclined to hang on to it. You should have at least one metre of copper off the boiler before going to plastic, and if you did change boilers any good engineer would change this as part of the job. The reason, as I understand it, is that if the boiler overheats uncontrollably, plastic pipe could burst whereas copper will dissipate the heat and hopefully protect the rest of the system without spraying you with steam. In reality, I'm not convinced that one metre of pipe is enough to do this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back