Playroom furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Building it yourself would be cheaper, could be made to fit the size and shape of the room better and design for the users of the room, if it's for kids shaped to form a castle or palace. Mdf with a painted finish would be the simplest way to go, with storage units doubling up as seats maybe?
Just need a little inspiration and the world is your proverbial oyster.

You could build this quite easily using melamine-faced board. It comes in different widths, lengths and colours.
It only needs cutting to length, drilling and screwing with chipboard screws. You need to preserve the edges, and iron on edging to the raw edges you've cut.

That way you can have it any size you want.

Try the library for books of ideas.

mmm, I've had melamine furniture built for me and by myself before but it always seems to look like a DIY job as it marks and chips and however careful you are there always are some bits that end up having dodgy edges so I stick well clear of melamine now. MDF is more interesting, I've always worked with it and find it quite reliable, it just getting a decent finish that's the issue. I've read recently online that sealing and spraying MDF is the way forward but my issue with making the furniture is I expect it will take at least 5-6 days to do which is quite a lot of time especially with the rest of the house to finish. In an ideal world I would make it myself as I quite like using the router but as time is an issue I will have to resort to buying a solution therefore I was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere that was more reasonable than £1200 for kit listed in the link above.

I guess I could get someone in if they were happy to build it for £500 + materials....

Sponsored Links
If you have a local college, you could ask if they have a student carpenter or cabinetmaker who would make it for you.

Or try a local carpenter, if you can get a good reference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back