Please Advise on Wood Glue to hold floor down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had some plumbing work done and the tongue was cut on some floorboards, after they were up it was clear that the existing old pipes were run in a way that there is no joist to fix to, see pictures.

What I have done is got some stripwood and screwed to the adjacent floorboard so when I replace the lengths over the pipe I can screw one side to the joist and the other side will sit on the stripwood, have tested it out and is nice and solid.
I cannot screw into the stripwood as there are pipes right underneath it so will need to glue them. Can anyone recommend the best glue for this please, I'd imagine something that holds well is key but also allows a bit of movement for expansion in the seasons.

thanks in advance

p.s. in the pictures with the stripwood, those are drawn on as I don't have a picture on me right now with the real stripwood attached ;)

View media item 66191 View media item 66192 View media item 66193 View media item 66194

Sponsored Links
I would screw, you can see where the pipes are, so you can screw at the sides, use short no 10, drill pilot first.
Glue may break down & then you will get creaky boards, you may at some stage want access again.

I would screw, you can see where the pipes are, so you can screw at the sides, use short no 10, drill pilot first.
Glue may break down & then you will get creaky boards, you may at some stage want access again.

Thanks but not an option, there are two more pipes you cannot see under the fixed floorboard (if you make the first picture bigger you can see one of the pipes peaking out)

Also if I needed access again those stripwoods would get cut just like the tongue did, and at that point I'd be paying my plumber to move the pipes or make them deeper, only talking about a 2metre run so would budget it in.

I would be inclined to lift the adjacent board and see exactly how much joist there is to bear on. Then look at replacing with a wider board of the correct thickness that can bear on the joists without putting pressure on the pipes. Just needs a length of ply to replace both boards in one run. Glueing pieces of timber supports will not work.

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to lift the adjacent board and see exactly how much joist there is to bear on. Then look at replacing with a wider board of the correct thickness that can bear on the joists without putting pressure on the pipes. Just needs a length of ply to replace both boards in one run. Glueing pieces of timber supports will not work.

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can get some wood wide enough and then screw it down which will mean easy future access. There's loads of joist under the other board.
Thanks

So have finally got round to cutting up the joining board so I can then lay a wider board as suggested above. Measuring the gap of these 2 boards, I will need a new board at around 235mm wide to fill it and the widest that B+Q have is 217mm

Any advice on a decent national timber merchant where I can get a board cut to the dimensions I want?,....then I can hunt my nearest one down.

Would prefer a single board but if need be I might be able to mix up a wide board with a thin board to cover the hole if push comes to shove

So have finally got round to cutting up the joining board so I can then lay a wider board as suggested above. Measuring the gap of these 2 boards, I will need a new board at around 235mm wide to fill it and the widest that B+Q have is 217mm

Any advice on a decent national timber merchant where I can get a board cut to the dimensions I want?,....then I can hunt my nearest one down.

Would prefer a single board but if need be I might be able to mix up a wide board with a thin board to cover the hole if push comes to shove

use plywood not a floorboard.

use plywood not a floorboard.

Checked it out and couldn't find any plywood boards on a 20.5mm thickness. 18mm is closest, if I will have to fiddle around with packing it out I might as well just fiddle around with 2 boards of different thickness.
It's cheaper buying 2 boards as well it seems, going to do that.

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back