Please help: fitting curtain pole brackets to side walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - First post here - hope this is in the right place. This might be a little difficult to explain - so I've attached a mini diagram:

We have a dormer-style window above which is a flat roof.

We would like to fit a curtain pole rather than track if possible.

There is no "wall" above the window to fit the brackets to. It goes from being glass, to window frame (UPVC) to ceiling.
There is also no "wall" either side of the window in the same plane as the window. It goes from glass to frame to wall at 90 degrees to window.

Therefore, I would need to fit a curtain pole bracket at the point denoted by the red cross on the diagram.

I managed to do this in another room with the same arrangement but it was a right pain.
I bought a curtain pole pack from Wilkos. This consisted of a pole in two part and two brackets.
The major problems with this arrangement was that:
a) the brackets needed to be fitted into the wall on which the window is on (either above or at the side), which was not possible.
b) there was a middle bracket that also needed to be fitted on the same wall as the window - this hid the join between the two parts of the pole.

I managed to modify the brackets slightly allowing the two outer brackets to be fitted where the red cross is and the middle bracket to be fitted to the ceiling.

I don't really want to go through the same ball ache again.

I could buy a standard length of wooden pole from Wickes and paint it white.
I just need to cups that I could use as brackets to place where I've marked on the diagram.

The window is approx. 4.5 ft in width - so provided we don't get heavy curtains, I'm confident that the span wont be too large for either the pole or fixings to handle.

Would appreciate any help on this!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back