please help pressure problems with my glow worm compact 75

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone help me 2 weeks ago i ask for advice on my glowworm compact 75 and chris kindly pointed me in the right direction as to the problem to which i got intouch with a reputable company to come out and solve the problem the fitter came sat spent 5min looking at it charged me £90 call out and said he cant do the work for another 2weeks he didnt do the things that he could have tried as stated in the faq like pumping up the pv just said he coundn't check it because it was hiding behind the flue IS THIS RIGHT as i looked yesterday and i think i found the valve to pv this is sitting on top of the casing of the boiler it has a rubber dust cap and inside plastic tubes going i think to the pv and air switch if so could he not of checked it, all he said was that i will replace the auto air vent put in a new pv extenal and pvr i admit the auto air vent has been leaking so that probably needs changing but when i called this company i told them the problems and i would have thought that they would have brought them spares just in case not come with nothing charge me the call out and then tell me they will come back and charge me more MY QUESTION is this IS THAT THE VALVE IF SO CAN I PUMP IT UP MYSELF TO SEE FROM THERE AND IS IT EASY TO CHANGE /I WILL CHANGE THE AUTO AIR /AND AS FOR THE PVR THAT IS 2 MONTHS OLD AND IT IS NOT LEAKING AS I HAVE CHECKED some thing this fitter didn't do

Sponsored Links
Don’t pump up the valve on top of the boiler!!!!! It is connected to the air pressure switch you will blow the internal diaphragm.

check the GC no: there are two models 75e (47-047-06a and 75P (47-047-03a) they look similar from the outside but use some different pats inside.

The boilers of the compact range are so named because they were made to fit in a standard kitchen cupboard with a rear flue (no flue bend on top). If yours is in a cupboard with rear flue the PV valve is almost impossible to get at unless you take out the cupboard, or cut a hole in the top. If not in a cupboard then the PV valve is on top of the vessel (red) and faces towards the wall. You will have to dig a bit of the wall out to get a pressure gauge on, if water comes out it will have to be replaced.

If this is a boiler repair company they should have a spare PRV on van and auto air vent (of both types for both models. These are common to a lot of boilers. We have these parts and similar that fit 95% of boilers out there on the van.

Don’t forget to turn of F & R valves (hope they don’t leak) and drain down before testing pressure on PV.

I think you are being ripped off unless this company has specifically charged you a diagnostic fee. If you are not happy threaten them with Office of fair trading but get your facts correct first.

Good luck.

thanks spareshunter the boiler is the 75p version take on board your comments on the pv probably will need a extenal one fitted if it's hard to get to but why did'nt the fitter put on the auto air vent and then see if it solved the probem or does it mean that if 1 part gone down then it means that all most certain the pv has as well or is he covering all he's options and charging for something that might not mean replacing :rolleyes:

Obviously he didn’t have one.

I assume the pressure on your system is dropping and not going to 3 bar (leak somewhere). First check pressure vessel to see if it is split or needs recharging. If the pressure reading on the gauge goes to 3 bar and is released through the PRV then it’s almost certain the Vessel diaphragm is spilt. You have to check each item on its own merit; they are not related to each other but could go at the same time (sods law).

Sponsored Links
the pressure is rising to just under 3bar then when we switch it off the pressure starts dropping to zero slowly i fitted new prv 2 months ago checked outside sat at the overflow no water coming out so asume this to be fine would the auto air vessell alone create this problem without the pv being fault as well as he didn't replace it

why not call glow worm 01773 828100, they are experts and carry all the spares. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back