Plinth heaters in... no flow... Help and advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just had plinth heaters fitted as part of a fix to provide disabled access for my wife.
The builder agreed to fit them if I provided.

Our bungalow only has 6 other radiators all feed/returns below or at floor level. Another rad was removed and pipes extended up and over our kitchen. I wanted them under the floor but builder vetoed this on couldnt be arsed grounds.
He's now off for the weekend So I'm clearing up and recommissioning the CH. Bled everything all other rads piping hot. Nothing going up along and down to the plinths.

Status now all other rads off. bleeding the plinth heaters... nothing hapening

Q: was up and over a bad choice hydrologically ?

Q: should I give them a mega bleed to shift a potenial air lock? (Smiths S5 silly positioning bleed valve soaks the plinth and water runs under units.

Pdoubleyou

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly air trapped at the highest point, should have an air bleed at that point have you checked the loft to see if he put any in?

turn off every other radiator. It may force the flow to go through your plinths.

Sponsored Links
thanks to JohnD and Footprints. I've had all the other rads turned off with just the feed and return to the affected with no joy. I've bled about a gallon out and still nothing. No there is no air relief valve and its an extension roof (no loft space) and the plasterer finished the ceiling yesterday.
I told them that an up and over run would cause problems but they were adamant air locks cannot occur in closed systems.

Well, as this is a part grant funded disabled facility improvement its got to be inspected by the council and building control so If I dont get satisfaction after that I'll have to withhold some of my payment until I get it rectified.

just narks that you cannot get a decent job done these days.

Cheers guys

Are you sure both valves are open on the heaters ?

There should be enough play on the flexi hoses to permit you to pull the heater out, turn off the ISO valves, disconnect & connect a hose. Fire the hose out the back boor & blast water until it runs hot. Do this with both the Flow & Return pipes, reconnect everything & test.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back