Plinth Lights - Cut Plug Off to wire to junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have some plinth lights with the following 12v Transformer with a plug on the end.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281333372...49&var=580368379981&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My Electrictian has put in a FCU on the wall from the ring main with a trailing cable to the plinth. At the end of the cable there is just a junction box. What is best practice - remove the junction box and fit a socket for the transformer, or cut the plug off the transformer and wire direct to Junction box? If I cut the plug off what fuse should be in the FCU? The same as the plug?

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
My Electrictian has put in a FCU on the wall from the ring main with a trailing cable to the plinth.
You surely don't mean that there's a cable just dangling down the wall from the FCU?

At the end of the cable there is just a junction box. What is best practice - remove the junction box and fit a socket for the transformer, or cut the plug off the transformer and wire direct to Junction box?
Six of one, really.

There's no point having two fuses in series, but OTOH a plug & socket would make it easier to replace the power supply when it fails.

If I cut the plug off what fuse should be in the FCU? The same as the plug?
Yup.

That is not a transformer, it is a switch mode power supply. But I digress. The way I would probably do it is to replace the FCU with a socket and plug in there.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the switch-mode power supply (SMPS) connects to the 240v AC side with a C8/C7 connector. In my opinion the best plan would to be to use the flexible cable with a C7 socket on the end to connect directly to the FCU. Isolate the mains first though! You can buy C7 cables up to 3m long from various suppliers. Oh, and fit a 3A fuse in the FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back