Plinth wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plinth about 6 inches high. The top is chipboard which is now rotted through getting wet from a washingb machine and needs replacing. The plinth is about 5ft long by 2.5 feet deep. It needs to support a couple of appliances. Apart from putting new chipboard in what options do I have? The

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could you explain, plinth is normally just to hide legs and does not support anything, or do you have the cheaper cup's with plinth built in?

Sorry. This is in the utility room. At one end of the room there is a raised section. I suppose a boxed in frame with chipboard screwed on top, and then there is a piece of lino stuck onto the chipboard for looks I guess. On top of this section or plinth as I call it sits the washing machine and dryer.

No real idea why the raised 'plinth' has actually been put in as the only thing I can see underneath is a water pipe running along the back wall. I coluld just remove the 'plinth' I suppose and sit the washing machine and dryver on the concrete or put some ceramic tiles down (as in the rest of the utility room) but assumed the plinth was there for some reason so thought Id just repair what was there ...

Sounds a bit pointless tbh, might be cause something is underneath or could be a way of reducing vibes from the machines.
If replacing it you could always lay some concrete blocks flat and put appliances onto these, but as you say if it can be ceramic tiled for minimal cost then do so.

Sponsored Links
Previous owner probably had a bad back and plinth reduced bending, you can dispose of it as long as machines can be leveled.

I'll have to investigage a bit by pulling all the old chipboard up and see if there is any reason. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back