Plug-in outdoor lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm thinking for putting some outdoor lights in my front garden. I've seen some in B&Q which are meant to be plugged into a mains socket (they've got a plug just like a table lamp has)

Does this mean they're notifiable or have to be installed by a qualified electrician? I'll not be tinkering with my home wiring - just putting the wire through the hole in the wall left by the cable suppliers ;) and plugging it in. I can plug it into an RCD to be safe.

What do you think?

Cheers

Samm[/img]

Sponsored Links
Not ideal as they are mains lights I presume (not low voltage) but if B and Q sell em.....
No need to get involved in part p/electrician and good idea to use RCD protection as well

SB

but if B and Q sell em.....

b & Q also sell boilers, doesn't mean to say you can fit one.

Some on here will say yes it comes under part P as its permanent.

I say

" so because they are permanent and in the garden, you think people will pay for an electrcian to install a set of garden lights, that came with transformer and a plug, or get the local BCO to inspect and issue a cert, when the lights cost a tenner? i think not"

I would say they are selv (12v) so i would say so long as they come with a plugtop and transformer, go ahead and put them in yourself

Sponsored Links
The lights in the picture certainly look like they use LEDs, so it'd be a safe bet that they're low voltage.

Yeah they're low voltage and come with a transformer rated to IP44. So there's a plug just like a normal lamp. that is connected to the transformer and the transformer is then connected to the lights.

I might just put the wire through the wall to my living room socket and put it into an RCD. On the outside I think I'll take the cable along the wall in a conduit or something.

What do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back