Plug socket, buzzing & sawdust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
I recently sanded a floor and created a lot of dust / sawdust. I forgot to screw back a plug socket, which had previously been working fine, and last night when I screwed it back and used it it made a buzzing sound. Bad I know.
Anyway I thought it could be lots of dust inside from sanding so undid it and thoroughly hovered inside which seems to have sorted it i.e. no buzzing.
Can lots of dust / sawdust cause this?

Sponsored Links
loose wires in the socket will cause tiny vibrations and a buzzing. Its more likely that you tightened these when you replaced the socket.

Thanks.
Didn't actually replace the socket, its pretty new after a rewire. I unscrewed it to decorate and left if off (stupidly) when I sanded the floor. The wires seemed secure and I couldn't see evidence of heat / burning.

You'll probably find that the terminal screws aren't actually tight enough.

Otherwise, it may be that dust has penetrated the switch itself. You may be able to clear that by switching off and on a few times.

If it is none of those things, then a new socket may be required!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That would explain why a thorough hoover, and using the socket a few times, seems to have sorted it which makes sense as the wires were tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back