PLUG SOCKET FOR COOKER HOOD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Cooker hood to fit, B&Q said it can be used either vented or recirculated air.

It has a 13 amp plug on.

The instructions say that the socket outlet must be fitted inside the chimney section.
Surely this is not a good idea, the output of recirculated air is also put into the chimney, Damp air and grease are not a good idea around a plug connected to a socket??????
Or am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
I think you are right. The inside of an extractor will be horrible. Perhaps they are thinking about having it out of sight so it does not look untidy, but an outlet near the ceiling is not very noticable.

Another advantage of having the plug outside the enclosure is that you can readily see and unplug it if necessary in the event of a fault of for cleaning and maintenence.

BTW a recirculating hood is not much good, see if you can duct the smoke and steam away and outside. You can hire a core drill which makes it very easy to drill a round hole in your walls for the extract tube.

I thought the 'chimney' of these things was just a decorative thing, and the extracted air is contained within a duct which may be routed inside the decorative chimney?

If this is the case, then I'd go for flex outlet plate behind the fake chimney controlled by a clearly labled FCU at worktop level

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I think you are right. The inside of an extractor will be horrible. Perhaps they are thinking about having it out of sight so it does not look untidy, but an outlet near the ceiling is not very noticable.

Another advantage of having the plug outside the enclosure is that you can readily see and unplug it if necessary in the event of a fault of for cleaning and maintenence.

BTW a recirculating hood is not much good, see if you can duct the smoke and steam away and outside. You can hire a core drill which makes it very easy to drill a round hole in your walls for the extract tube.

To be honest JohnD, I think b&q don't know what theyre talking about. I think it is just a vented type(to outside) then the fact that the outlet is in the chimney is not a problem because the air will vent straight into the PVC tubing. You right, I think recirculation is a bit of a waste of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back