plug socket has stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A plug socket behind the washing machine in my house has stopped working. I've taken the cover off and checked that no wires are loose, but otherwise I am inexperienced with household electrics and don't know what to do next - short of paying an electrician $$$ to fix the problem in 2 minutes!

The washing machine works fine in other sockets, but this one has just died.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Rob.

Sponsored Links
I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll check when the power in that part of the house is no longer required.

Why do you ask?

If its got two its most likely a ring, and the socket plate is probably to blame, if its got only one it could be a spur and there might be a fcu before it

Sponsored Links
id replace the socket first

if it still doesn't work then investigate further

Thanks for your replies. Is replacing the soscket a tricky job? What do I have to do?

i am sorry to say but if you are asking how then i think it may be safer that you dont.

I see your point. If I get someone to replace the socket, how much do you think they should/will charge?

depends wher you are in the country, as with all things get several quotes

you missed my point, i wasntasking where you live, i said it depends where you live.

but being up there is cheaper than down here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back