Plugging floor board edge gaps under skirting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIYnot,

I am planning to plug various drafts in my new flat. I wanted to ask you all about long term reliable methods for these gaps under my skirting board all around the floor.

(As I wrote this I see many current topics and did some more research).

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
During my research I ruled out silicon because I could not paint over. I discovered Acrylic Latex which seems very flexible, does not shrink and has great reviews.

Sashco Sealants 10016 10.5oz 10.5 Oz White Big Stretch® Caulk & Seal

My specific question was this...

I have filled 50% of the gap areas with thick draft excluder, some double layered thick. Should I remove this so the acrylic latex is going against the wood or will it stick to the draft excluder plus my chipboard floor and skirting ok?

thanks

Lee

If your flat has such open gaps below the skirtings you should investigate why?
Has the floor dropped - or have all the skirtings shrunk?

Depending on circumstances, its sometimes easier to provide a long term solution by removing and refixing the skirtings.

Hi, thanks the reply,

I am on the top floor (3rd) of 30 flats. The flats are about 12 years old.

Looks like floor has moved away from the skirting, in some places the gap is a 3-4 mm and other bits the gap is three quarters of an inch.

If I used sealant though (as I am weighing my options) should I remove the draft excluder?

Lee

Sponsored Links
3/4" is way too much for a floor to drop.

I'm assuming that its a suspended wooden joist floor - any other construction then get back here?

Check with your neighbours, at all levels, to see if there have been any issues that might account for your floor dropping so much.

Next step is to get a professional opinion - if you own the flat.

Usually its bad practice to fill such cracks with anything but a caulking material because it might be a case where contraction will next take place.

thanks ree,

I decided in another one of my flooring threads not to go down the route of more research and surveys as we put it down to a mixture of movement, bad workmanship and a purposeful gap (which got bigger!).

My new thread here was because I started talking about the remedy eg: caulk.

I have uploaded some pictures to an album called "Floor"

//www.diynot.com/network/leejenson/albums/24117

Would you put Caulk in front of thick draft excluder or would you remove the draft excluder first, if I went down this way...?

Thanks

Lee

Post a google reference for the draft excluder.

What kind of wall is that - masonry and solid plaster, dot & dab or p/b on studding? It looks like solid plaster?

Hi,

Lounge and bedroom are plaster board. The hallway is masonry. In the pics the hallway is one of the narrower gaps. The biggest gap you see is plaster board in my bedroom.

I can take the pictures again and label them properly if need be.

Lee

It might simply be that the plaster board was held up short from the floor.
Its typical to keep it up say 6mm to 12mm from the floor.
No reason for drafts - the sheets of sub-floor are usually laid first with the studding on top.

Hi ree,

Thanks, all of the pictures are skirting board pictures, behind the skirting is plaster board, apart from the hall which is masonry.

The 4th picture is where I inserted some draft excluder and I want to ask whether it is ok to put caulk on top of this or shall I remove it and just use caulk?

Thanks

Lee

thanks

It's going to be carpeted so I need a flat edge, will go down the decorators caulk route on top of thick draft excluder.

thank you for your time

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back