plugging in a free standing oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Thought it would be easy to attach wire to end of free standing oven and then wire plug to end of it - fine works. However only using 13amp in plug socked so when I turned on fan oven, this was overload - now nothing works.

Should I simply replace 13amp fuse in plug for 30amp. Or is a more complicated job then I first assumed? Look forward to your responses ;)

Sponsored Links
You need a dedicated circuit for that appliance. A 13 amp plug is called a 13 amp plug for a reason. A freestanding all electric cooker requires 30-50 amps.

And you blatantly haven't read the instructions - if you had, you would have realised / discovered the above. :rolleyes:

ruthyg said:
Should I simply replace 13amp fuse in plug for 30amp.

Or is a more complicated job then I first assumed?

No.

Yes.

When you say "oven" do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker?"

You are a *************

And so thick that you don't even know what year it is.

Perhaps a more balanced response would be to have reported the spam. Faster result and also you don't then look like an intemperate teenager.

Sponsored Links
I would think my free standing cooker with 4 induction hobs is quite large and it still only requires a 32A supply. But supplies of this size are always dedicated.

To my knowledge only one firm has ever produced a full stand alone cooker that will work from a 13A supply. That is Belling it was called the Baby Belling and was the unit fitted in nearly every works canteen on every building site I have worked on.

Other than that one odd cooker I would not expect to find anything which will work on 13A.

You can get hobs that work on 13A look at domino hobs and are most at 13A. And ovens too are often under 13A. So in theory one could have a pair both working from the ring main. However in practice likely it would trip the main breaker on the consumer unit quite often.

I don't like electric built in ovens as they are so often limited to 13A. This means that the options allowed with my Belling 60i are not permitted with non stand alone ovens. Selecting top heat and back heat together to cook a pizza is allowed with some built in ovens but when you read you find the oven auto alternates between both elements not both on together as with stand alone.

So with my stand alone oven even not using the induction hobs it can draw well over 13A.

Eric, before a certain forum member comes along and starts bad-mouthing you as well, I should point out that the OP is around five years old so not worth replying to.

There were two recent posts before mine. You should be able to work out the rest. :)

Yes.......that the first moderator bumped the post. As that's the first post in 2011.

Dont be silly - you know that moderators can remove posts. Work it out. The clues are all there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back