Plumber installed boiler - roomstat not compliant & no T

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

I moved into a house a year ago. We saw that the house had a new boiler (installed in 2009) when we bought the house.

The boiler that was fitted was a Worcester Greenstar Ri - and the installation manual is here: http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ca...eenstar-ri--manufactured--aug-08---dec-10.pdf

This says (for _replacement_ boilers from 2008 to 2010) 'While the system is drained down, TRVs must be fitted to all rooms except the bathrooms and the room with the thermostat.'

However, no TRVs were fitted.

Also, when we looked at the Roomstat (a Honeywell T40), only terminals 1 & 3 were connected, meaning the anticipator isn't wired in, meaning the system calls for heat too early. Maybe it wasn't wired in with the replacement boiler, but I don't think the new system would have met Part L as a result of being wrongly wired.

So, my question is - can we get the installer to come back and fix these issues (either the lack of TRVs or the wrongly wired roomstat)?

Thanks!

Norm

Sponsored Links
I doubt you could get him/her back in as his contract was with the previous owner not you.
Also building regs are different for new installations and replacement of existing equipment.

Pete

: http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ca...eenstar-ri--manufactured--aug-08---dec-10.pdf

This says (for _replacement_ boilers from 2008 to 2010) 'While the system is drained down, TRVs must be fitted to all rooms except the bathrooms and the room with the thermostat.'

I just read the document you linked and it does not say those words that you have put quote marks round.

Where did you see them?

Hi there

Sorry - I cut and pasted from the post 2010 version. The 2008-2010 version stated:

'On all installations TRV’s should at least be fitted in the sleeping areas. See note below on open radiator/bypass'

Fluffster - yep, contract was with the previous owners, but presumably Building Control would have something to say about it not being up to Part L.

What I am wondering is (a) whether the installation manual saying that 'TRVs should ... be fitted...' means that they should have been, and (b) whether the miswired roomstat (it works - but not as intended) would also mean that Building Control could potentially enforce this (if indeed there is something to enforce - presumably non-compliance with Part L)

Thanks for your replies...

Sponsored Links
All he has to say is that is all the previous owners would pay for and his arris is covered(this may even be true) These are reccomendations not enforcable law.

As for getting the installer back after 4 years, I wouldn't bother trying the impossible. Even if he did makes some omissions.

Better to put your effort into running a neutral wire from the ch wiring centre to terminal 2 on the stat. Then your anticipator should work properly.

Also, start saving if you want TRVs. They're not compulsory on a boiler swap, just recommended in part L of building regs. If TRVs weren't fitted in 2009, obviously the customer didn't pay for them either. So you ain't going to get free TRVs fitted.

As for getting the installer back after 4 years, I wouldn't bother trying the impossible. Even if he did makes some omissions.

Better to put your effort into running a neutral wire from the ch wiring centre to terminal 2 on the stat. Then your anticipator should work properly.

Also, start saving if you want TRVs. They're not compulsory on a boiler swap, just recommended in part L of building regs. If TRVs weren't fitted in 2009, obviously the customer didn't pay for them either. So you ain't going to get free TRVs fitted.

Thanks all. Much appreciated!

I may even put the central heating on this evening to try it out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back