Plumbers is it worth becoming gas safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it worthwhile for plumbers to become gas safe i.e more money job opportunity?

Sponsored Links
Not exactly rocket science is it if you have an additional qualification to work on something you are not presently allowed to then it must open up a far bigger market .Whether you get the work is down to you selling yourself

I meant more if you worked for a firm do the gas safe plumbers get alot more then normal plumbers?

Sponsored Links
If you're good yes , you'd be better paid than plumbers, plasterers, brickies, joiners, painters and decorators, labourers , ground workers the only trade that comes close is electricians , obviosuly the other trades will disagree ;)

I think a lot of those comments have to be understood in context.

Although a gas reg person will probably receive a slightly higher wage on a building site, they are only say 3 in 100 of the workers there!

Also their work is for the shortest length of time.

Tony

on going cost are quite high with further training and updating its not a one off cost you need a high percentage to be gas work to make it worth it year on year

Really ? This is just about on going costs not initial .
ACS costs around 1000 quid then add lost wages whilst you take it is say another £1000 so £2000 which lasts 5 years so 400 quid a year £7.69 a week add in the yearly reg of around 185 thats £3.55 a week so it costs a whole £11.24 a week to be registered ,Cant see that having to be a high percentage in anyone`s eyes to someone already out there working.And even if the ACS is a couple of hundred more its still only pennies extra over 5 years

my brother is a plumber and he was moaning that it wasn't worth it unless a high percentage was gas work :D
perhaps he is just grumpy :rolleyes:

I know I can be a bit sentimental but the first thing I think is not what you will earn but whether you will enjoy what you're doing. If you do think you'll enjoy it, then want to do it better, then better still with more complication and faster don't worry about the money, that will follow your skill.

my brother is a plumber and he was moaning that it wasn't worth it unless a high percentage was gas work :D
perhaps he is just grumpy :rolleyes:

A grumpy plumber - now there's a revelation! :D

Second only to certain electricians who frequent this forum....

;)

There are currently twice as many Gas Safe registered people out there compared to 2004.

So, as the late Sir James Goldsmith said, if you see a bandwagon go past, you've already missed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back