Plumbing Grrr!!

E

EddieM

I hate plumbing..... why? because I am useless at it. Everytime I try to do the simplest of jobs, the joints always end up leaking, not a lot, but just oozing slightly. Any jobs that you don't like?

Sponsored Links
Don't tighten the nuts to tight.

YES WASHING UP/IRONING/WASHING...Hold on .... all house hold jobs

I hate plumbing..... why? because I am useless at it. Everytime I try to do the simplest of jobs, the joints always end up leaking, not a lot, but just oozing slightly. Any jobs that you don't like?

Totally agree. Always a weep, which necessitates a drain-down and re-do (soldered joints).
And nails - screw and plug, every time.

God - I really hate plumbing! :evil:

Sponsored Links
I've done very little plumbing and only used compression joints once (for a new sink). I cut the pipes with a pipe cutter, rather than a hacksaw, and didn't use PTFE tape or paste on the olives (mainly because I didn't have any!), yet I was very pleased to find no leaks. Still OK after a few months.

Must of made tens of thousands of joints over the years. I reckon one in every 700-1000 will leak. It happens sometimes, just nip it up or drain and re-solder.

Had more on plastic though not initially, a few months on. I try to do everything in cu pipe as Im not a big installer now so make very few joints compared to the likes of Dan etc...

I hate decorating. Why people can make a living out of it is beyond me. If you can p155 you can paint. Fair play to them though - must be tough when 'cutting in' or hanging a bit of paper on a wall.

Totally agree. Always a weep, which necessitates a drain-down and re-do (soldered joints).
And nails - screw and plug, every time.

God - I really hate plumbing! :evil:

Soldering takes a bit of practice. Certain joints in certain orientations are easier than others. Small variations in technique can make the difference between success and failure - things like if you are doing several joints close to each other (eg. on a tee fitting), start by soldering the highest joint first and work down. If you start at the bottom one first, by the time you get to the top one it will be cooked.

Loads of good videos on Youtube to help. If you're not very experienced in soldering, stick to Yorkshire solder ring fittings. The solder is already inside the fittings and they are easier to master than end- feed fittings and a roll of solder.

I hate decorating. Why people can make a living out of it is beyond me. If you can p155 you can paint. Fair play to them though - must be tough when 'cutting in' or hanging a bit of paper on a wall.

+1.

I do some decorating for myself sometimes, but hate it. Especially the prep. Having to do it day in, day out for a living would send me to the funny farm.

+1.

I do some decorating for myself sometimes, but hate it. Especially the prep. Having to do it day in, day out for a living would send me to the funny farm.

Painting is calming and very therapeutic.

Had a bad day at work, do some painting.
Feeling you are not appreciated, do some painting.
Depressed, do some painting.

Painting is the answer.

Like feck it is, I HATE it, it's dull, repetitive and boring. I'd much rather pay someone else to do it even if I can't afford to.

I do plumbing and bathroom fitting but also decorate, tile and lay wood floors. I don't really hate any of those jobs but it depends more on the customer and the atmosphere of the house. If the house is empty, I can work away merrily but a house full of screaming, arguing kids and I'm off at 4.

What annoys me though, is modern, p*ncy bathroom suites, made in Europe and a complete b to fit. Back-to-wall toilets really get me, you need eight foot arms with tiny hands. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Had a bad day at work, do some painting.
Feeling you are not appreciated, do some painting.
Depressed, do some painting.

Painting is the answer.

I can see that getting the easel out and producing a nice landscape painting would lower the blood pressure.

Doing the skirtings and door frame in the box room has the opposite affect. ;)

I do plumbing and bathroom fitting but also decorate, tile and lay wood floors. I don't really hate any of those jobs but it depends more on the customer and the atmosphere of the house. If the house is empty, I can work away merrily but a house full of screaming, arguing kids and I'm off at 4.

What annoys me though, is modern, p*ncy bathroom suites, made in Europe and a complete b to fit. Back-to-wall toilets really get me, you need eight foot arms with tiny hands. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

And aren't the b'stards so picky these days. :LOL:

Avoid bathrooms like the plague! :evil:

With solder joints the trick is keeping it clean.

Wire wool the pipe and the inside of the fitting until bright copper. after that do not touch the areas that will be soldered. Put a thin layer of flux on the pipe and assemble the joint, apply heat to the fitting and not the pipe. Touch the end of the fitting with the solder and when it melts allow the solder to run into the joint.

I had a run of leaky joints but since getting the advice about clean bright copper and no touching from a plumber I have no failed joints using end feed fittings. A finger can leave enough grease ( sweat ) on the pipe to prevent the solder flowing.

Like f**k it is, I HATE it, it's dull, repetitive and boring. I'd much rather pay someone else to do it even if I can't afford to.

Much more interesting than watching football, though! :LOL:

As a yorkshireman I expect cricket is more your cup of tea.
Now if you're looking for comparisons between watching sport and watching paint dry, look no further.

Sponsored Links
Back