Plumbing intesive coarse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am starting a plumber's intensive 6 week course next week and I need some advice from some who has done one of these courses whether it would be wise to set up as self employed straight away or what? I understand that everyone is different but can some one share his experience please? Not afraid of the course but more of when I finish it? Whether I would be confident enough . I do not want to be branded a cowboy!! Thank you

Sponsored Links
Bail out. Now. It will cost you a vast amount of money and get you almost nowhere. You'll have to set up self employed if you do it because no self-respecting plumber will ever employ you, and sooner or later (probably sooner) your lack of experience will cause you to suffer a quite massive cock-up that you won't know how to deal with.

The only way into the industry is to do a proper City&Guilds full scope NVQ qualification, which takes about three years

I am starting a plumber's intensive 6 week course next week and I need some advice from some who has done one of these courses whether it would be wise to set up as self employed straight away or what? I understand that everyone is different but can some one share his experience please? Not afraid of the course but more of when I finish it? Whether I would be confident enough . I do not want to be branded a cowboy!! Thank you
depends on age really??? older you are not many will take u on, even for free!!! your going to learn something obviously when u finish, so my advice is start slowly on your own and get pros in for jobs you know you cant do, and labour for the pros so your keeping your clients happy plus your gettin more on the job experience. get good reliable pros though if putting tour name to it. just my opinion tho :D whos the 6 wk course with.... if allowed to say and how much....

Sponsored Links
Is this 'six week course' to be qualifed for NVQ2? NVQ3? ACS?

Give it 6 weeks and we'll be seeing "dv1906" in the 'combustion chamber' ;)

Mickyg you r smelling wrong I need advice . Yes paul78 what I had in mind was primarily to labour for a qualified plumber preferably, to gain as much experience as possible then try to find small jobs that builds my confidence and gradually build up a step at a time. The big jobs will have to wait for the first year or so . The course is with rf training by Manchester way and unto c&g level 2 . Which is the basic really . But there has to be a start somewhere. Cost £ 4000. My age 40.

Six weeks seems a bit long; can they not condense it anymore ffs?

£4000 divided by 6 weeks = £666.666 a week is that an omen?! :LOL:

I really wouldn't waste your time and money,

As a plumber with 42 years behind me, there isn't a lot of work out there to warrant you spending that much money, you will never see the return on it.

The reason so many CC/CCC go self employed is because you can con the public but you cant con other tradesmen.

There a lot easier ways of making money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back