Plumbing intesive coarse

6 weeks training will not convince anyone out there that you're competent, sadly. Your intentions are very encouraging and honourable, and in another time you'd be snapped up by an experienced plumber or contractor where you'd be put to work covering the basics initially then progressing and gaining the real experience so necessary.
How do I know this? Well, I've just spent 2 years at a Skillcentre, studying and practicals to Level 3. Not quite afforded the last sessions yet (ACS) etc, but I have been trying to secure something out there, working for nothing. Guess what, no takers at all. If I can't get any voluntary work, then there's not much chance of getting paid.
However, I've just witnessed the most appalling work by a "plumber" I've ever seen, and that has turned me completely around from a position of frustration to one where I know I can help friends and family with their plumbing problems. So far, so good. I have the support of some of my tutors - very experienced profesionals - and life has become a little more busy than it was.
Good luck in whatever training route you take. Whatever the case, nothing beats sheer experience. Get the qualifications whichever way suits you best, but get out there and build up some experience with it. Good luck, I'm sure it'll work out for you.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Thank you
Paul 78 I will always keep your advice in my mind.
Thank you all
There is only one way to know! trying!!

Mickyg you r smelling wrong I need advice . Yes paul78 what I had in mind was primarily to labour for a qualified plumber preferably, to gain as much experience as possible then try to find small jobs that builds my confidence and gradually build up a step at a time. The big jobs will have to wait for the first year or so . The course is with rf training by Manchester way and unto c&g level 2 . Which is the basic really . But there has to be a start somewhere. Cost £ 4000. My age 40.
the c&g level 2 is the stepping stone, but be careful if u want to progress beacause its all meant to be changing to diplomas, look into it further if you want to go further after level 2, but dont let anyone put you off, i hear loads of people saying its bad, so why is everyone still around........ tip for you, turn up when you say your going to because thats your first entry in the clients door, then its down to you to get the job! trust me most people go with the nice guy attitude quote more than the how many qualifications have you got quote. whats the point having every qualification out there if your not punctual, no people skills, reliable etc etc. bet they DONT get the job!!!

dV, it is probably too late to cancel and get your money back, but if you can, I would. If you review my posts, you'll see that I am not prone to slagging guys off for fun.

You WILL struggle (actually, find it impossible) to get , and starting on your own is not easy, even with experience. I've had "30 minute" jobs that take all day, and you have to have the confidenece to charge the client a proper rate.

How much did you propose to charge per, say,half hour?

Sponsored Links
Thanks dodge monkey
you have a very positive attitude.
Good advice hope things work out for u 2 .

The greater Manchester area is full and i mean full of 6 week wonders plus the rest of eastern Europe that are looking for work.
After working for myself for the last 20 years I've finally gone cards in due to this and the fact no ones got any money so every ones looking for cheap prices :(

That 's right paul78 reliability is the key. In that department I have 24 years experience in customer relations which will help.

That 's right paul78 reliability is the key. In that department I have 24 years experience in customer relations which will help.

in that case you're home and dry; why even bother with the 6 week course?

6 weeks training will not convince anyone out there that you're competent, sadly. Your intentions are very encouraging and honourable, and in another time you'd be snapped up by an experienced plumber or contractor where you'd be put to work covering the basics initially then progressing and gaining the real experience so necessary.
How do I know this? Well, I've just spent 2 years at a Skillcentre, studying and practicals to Level 3. Not quite afforded the last sessions yet (ACS) etc, but I have been trying to secure something out there, working for nothing. Guess what, no takers at all. If I can't get any voluntary work, then there's not much chance of getting paid.
However, I've just witnessed the most appalling work by a "plumber" I've ever seen, and that has turned me completely around from a position of frustration to one where I know I can help friends and family with their plumbing problems. So far, so good. I have the support of some of my tutors - very experienced profesionals - and life has become a little more busy than it was.
Good luck in whatever training route you take. Whatever the case, nothing beats sheer experience. Get the qualifications whichever way suits you best, but get out there and build up some experience with it. Good luck, I'm sure it'll work out for you.

Mike

these short courses are a joke why did you start it. why not gain proper nvq qualifications not the mickymouse ones??

I did not Say Having customer experience makes anyone a plumber . It is perhaps the start. We all now that one cannot run before you walk. Thanks anyway

Mike

these short courses are a joke why did you start it. why not gain proper nvq qualifications not the mickymouse ones??

scuse me fitting ideal boilers is even more of a joke :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

scuse me fitting ideal boilers is even more of a joke :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

forgot more than you will ever know i am now retired to a warmer clime

do you have all domestic all
commercial all
can yo play with 250 MW boilers do you understand vacuam proving

go play sonny :rolleyes:

ideal wouldn't **** on them if they where on fire :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back