Plyboarding floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to plyboard over my landing floor boards before I get a new carpet. The floor boards are not terrible but there is a few cap in between where they got ook u for central heating. Because of this the carpert went abit wavey. What size ply suits. Is 4mm ok or will I need 9mm

Sponsored Links
If the T&G boards are firmly fixed and non-squeaking then why not use hardboard and a quality underlay?

Sponsored Links
I've always used hardboard because it's cheap and easy; I use 4x2's and use ring nails every 150mm, and never have any problems, but I came across an interesting thread recently that advocated 6mm ply and feather edge levelling compound. As long as there isn't too much difference in the height of the existing floorboards, then I'd use hardboard, but if the floors very uneven, then I'd go for 10mm ply.

And if you use hardboard, then the smooth surface goes underneath.

I don't think strength is the issue though just the unevenness of the boards. Hardboard and a decent underlay. watch out for pipes when nailing

Wouldn't it be quicker easier and cheaper just to replace the few bad boards or fill the gaps with stripwood? The board themselves are not uneven, right?

Wouldn't it be quicker easier and cheaper just to replace the few bad boards or fill the gaps with stripwood? The board themselves are not uneven, right?
Would be alot easier to just go over save lifting boards up. Stripwood would not work as the floorboards snapped in even places. I would have to cut all original floorboards to get a straight egdes then add strips.

I came across an interesting thread recently that advocated 6mm ply and feather edge levelling compound.
That's done a lot in commercial jobs - a bit belt and braces but the flooring fitters seem to like it. Depending on spec we either screw the stuff (collated screw gun) or taple it (gas stapler)

OP,
You are going with carpet on a landing - top step riser height, and possible nosing difficulties might come from raising the FFL.
Door thresholds to bathroom and bedrooms might also be affected.

All you are looking for is something to level out the boards, and pinned down hardboard will do the trick for an underlayment - as in my post above.
Dont give yourself problems where its unnecessary - keep it simple, and have the carpet well tacked and stretched.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back