pointing old bricks

S

sammoseley

For new work using old reclaim bricks just wondered what your pointing of choice is if no existing to match. I always do weatherstruck (dont brush it) but seen it bucket handled then brushed to give a more rustic look, that's gotta be quicker and looks ok so was thinking of giving that a try next time
Any thoughts welcome!

Sponsored Links
personal choice really
when old looking brick fireplaces were popular I used to rake out the joints

Yeah that looks good for internal, not sure I'd so it for external . Cheers for the reply

By weather struck do you mean struck and cut or just struck?
Flush joints can look OK on old work as well.
Bucket handle can look a bit rough when the bed joints are a bit bigger and uneven.

Sponsored Links
Just struck I meant. Yeah not done flush for ages, how do you finish it, rub it down with something?

You can use a bit of wood, sacking or a churn brush for lime joints. Metal gives a more waterproof joint, although with lime joints you don't need that.

By "old", doesn't really say what type/style of brick ... I'm guessing you mean 'common'.

If so I would choose a churn brush every time.

You see on Coronation St, when they're stood outside talking, the weatherstruck (or should that be Weatherfield Struck ... sorry)
just looks far too modern.

In reality of course, streets like Corrie have indeed been repointed any old way, so maybe that's pretty authentic. But given choice, I'd go for a more natural look.

Yeah I meant pre war commons kind of thing.
churn brushed sounds good and "authentic" but I'd be concerned about water penetration compared to if it's been struck with trowel/iron ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back