Pointing the outside stonework of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got the Mrs on at me to do some pointing on the outside stonework of the house. Firstly I've never done it before or ever made mortar up so been to the DIY store and found out they have ready-made mortar mix.

Trouble is the mortar colour used on the house is not a grey colour (which a lot of these ready-made mortar mixes are). The house has a brownish mortar used and I want to have this colour of mortar to keep it in the same style. Then I thought i should make up mortar myself but I don't know what kind of sand to use - some say Sharp, some say red and some say buliders sand. (is it true that sharp sand is finer than builders sand?)

What is the best sand to use please for pointing and what sand is best to get a brownish look? Oh and then how do I make the mortar please?

You have no idea how much your help means to me!!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
soft sand x5, cementx1, lime x1.

Mix with appropriate amount of water to get consistency required.

or google hydraulic lime mortar.

If it is a very definate brown your mortar probably has colouriser added to it, In which case it will be trial and error as to getting the colour right.

Sand varieties from course to fine - Sharp sand - plastering sand - building sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back