Poland can't be a very nice place to live ......

Sponsored Links
not exactly sure what you point is poland has a population off around 39 million so over many years about 2% have settled here some fighting for us in ww2
as a percentage in the uk they are about 1.3% and 1.4% off the total population if we assume the uk population as being around 65 million

Last edited:
They come for better wages, just like people moving from Cornwall to London.

Sometimes methinks thou dost protest too much.
Not as Shakespeare meant it; just too much.

Never been to Poland but looks alright to me.

images

Sponsored Links
Poland is a great country. Been there many times. Problem is, there aren't enough sh!t jobs for sh!t money, so they come here to clean our toilets and pick our spuds. Since they are willing to work for peanuts, many employers have reduced their wages and conditions, so that thousands of jobs are only appealing to Eastern Europeans. Then they cynically claim that they can't get British workers because they won't get out of bed for less than they would get on benefits.

Afaik many countries including the U.k goverment have purchased vast amounts of farmland in Poland

"Poland can't be a very nice place to live ......"

Just under 800,000 moved here.........can't be verh nice in Poland !

Funnily enough, about the same number as British immigrants in Spain.

I hope they aren't all planning to come back.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/68...endum-Spain-Mariano-Rajoy-Jean-Claude-Juncker

They don't seem to be making much effort to work, integrate, and learn the language.

Wikipedia says:
"Research has shown that a section of the British population in Spain is poorly integrated into Spanish society. A survey of 340 British migrants in the Province of Málaga, for example, found that one third rarely or never met Spanish people, apart from in shops and restaurants, and that 60 per cent did not speak Spanish well. A number of initiatives have been launched to improve integration of British migrants into Spanish life, including language course provision. As a result of the 2008 global financial crisis, some British people in Spain who want to return to the UK have been unable to do so because of the difficulty of selling property in a depressed local housing market. Figures published in January 2015 showed that 2,973 British nationals were in receipt of unemployment benefits in Spain."

Blimey with out the British holiday maker going to Spain the place would probably go bankrupt.

They should be grateful to this country

Don't most Brit's who move to Spain go there to retire and not to do low paid jobs, so therefore the two groups are not comparable.

yes, apart from the bank robbers.

these older people will be making increasing demands on health and social services, in whichever country they end up in.

Unlike fit young migratory workers from the EU.

I've been to Wroclaw (pronounced Vross-Waff) and Krakow on city breaks with the wife. Both beautiful, historic cities with lovely people. I would recommend both destinations to readers. No beggars or people asking me for money in the street (name one large town or city in the UK where that doesn't happen).
The Poles I have met in the UK are hard working, decent people. They pay tax and NI.
If you don't know about the battle of Monte Cassino, Italy, then Google it. Thousands of Polish soldiers killed and terribly injured fighting wearing British uniforms and carrying British guns. The Polish pilots who flew for the RAF also proved themselves endlessly. Regular British soldiers looked down on the Poles and considered them second class. The interesting fact was that most of the young Polish men who had faced tremendous odds to come to the UK to carry on the fight with the Germans were much better educated than the British squaddies. British and American army units were decimated by the German troops at Monte Cassino. The Poles were sent in as a last resort and because the Allied commanders were running out of intact fighting units in the area. The Poles took Monte Cassino fighting uphill, rock to rock, with SS and Fallschirmjaeger (paratroopers) units machine gunning them from the top of the hill. The Poles couldn't get their Bren carriers (light armoured vehicles) across the rocks so had to leg it all the way up the hill. The Poles got a bit more respect after that but were still beaten up in the street in Britain for being Polish.
Britain and France sold Poland down the river in 1939 when the Germans invaded Poland. The signed treaty meant that Britain and France would rush to Polands aide if it was invaded. The Polish resistance held out bravely against the Germans believing that 'the British will come, they are gentlemen and will honour the agreement'. I am ashamed to say that Britain and France welched on the agreement. The Polish resistance fighters suffered torture and slow deaths at the hands of the Germans.
My opinion: The Polish people who live in the UK are welcome here. Their previous generations earned the right.

Derby

After selling out the Poles in 1939, we did it again by letting them get swallowed up by The Soviet Union.

Sandwich

Don't most Brit's who move to Spain go there to retire and not to do low paid jobs, so therefore the two groups are not comparable.

Precisely. They live there peacefully, don't mop up jobs, spend their savings and pensions. They put in. When they get old and creaky they return here because the Spanish health service is more hopeless than ours.

Sponsored Links
Back