Polarity!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a daft question but how can you tell the polarity of the wires coming out of my spotlights both white cabling.

Sponsored Links
with a multimeter, or follow the wires backwards untill you find somewhere that is marked

sorry i meant for when i connect them up, not connected at the minute

connect them all the same then.

it doesnt really matter which way you connect them, assuming they are not ES (edison screw lamps) as ES the centre should be the live, but seeing as yours are all white i should say they are not es, so it doesnt matter (so long as they are all paralell)

Sponsored Links
Not should, Breezer, mate - MUST!

All ES lampholders MUST be wired with live to the centre contact.

im sure i remember hearing there were some exceptions to that rule but im not sure what they were

i think it was the "it doesnt matter in a tom and jerry cartoon, as they will light up anyway" rule

plugwash said:
im sure i remember hearing there were some exceptions to that rule but im not sure what they were

It's when you are using the type of ES fitting that have no exposed live parts - some plastic threaded ones have contacts that are only made live when a lamp is fully screwed in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back