Polarity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hope someone can help. We had a washing machine delivered on hire, the guy put an impedance tester into the socket and the reading showed over 100 holmes. He tried it in 4 other sockets down stairs and got the same kind of reading. I assume this is to do with the earthing in the house and I don't know what I need to do, or what needs to be done. Getting an electrician in is maybe the obvious answer but I need to understand what might need doing. Thanks in advance for feedback. PS they wouldn't deliver the washing machine.

Sponsored Links
You should ask the company what the supplier's system is for your property, they should be able to tell you, if they can't - tell them that you are contacting trading standards unless they retest and confirm the type of supply. That value of ohms is acceptable for a TT installation - ideally <100 ohms, a maximum of 0.8 is required for TN-S and 0.35 for TN-C-S, these values are measured at the supplier's terminals, the values at sockets can be marginally higher, due to the additional impedance of the cable supplying the sockets.

This is a common problem since these companies don't train their people to recognise what is acceptable.

Regards

PS: - They should also test the RCD unit which is a requirement for a TT supply and a later requirement to the regulations for other socket installations that potentially could supply outdoor equipment, to protect against shock.

A bit OTT for a delivery guy!

OP, can you post a photo of your electricity supply intake and your consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback guys. Forgot to mention, we are located in Scotland, if that's of relevance.....bet we can a few jokes out of that one. Also this is a really old property and the consumer unit is a fuse type. Lights 5amp, ring circuit 30amps etc. I can't post a phot unfortunately. And yes that's what they said.....polarity thanks again :eek:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Forgot to mention, we are located in Scotland, if that's of relevance.....bet we can a few jokes out of that one.
Scotland you say? do they have electricity up there? maybe thats why he couldn't give you a decent answer? ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Forgot to mention, we are located in Scotland, if that's of relevance.....bet we can a few jokes out of that one. Also this is a really old property and the consumer unit is a fuse type. Lights 5amp, ring circuit 30amps etc. I can't post a phot unfortunately. And yes that's what they said.....polarity thanks again :eek:
It's not of relevance, it's the same system for electrical supplies; although it's more civilised up there in God's country. Unfortunately I am in the land of the infidels, someone has to keep them right, can't leave it to Gordon on his own. :LOL:

Have you contacted this rental company again? Did they say it was a polarity problem? If it is then you need an electrician to check it out if indeed it is a polarity problem, that's simple to correct. Did you ask them what type of supply you had? I suspect that the problem is as I said previously: - It's a TT installation. To find out, phone your network operator, they will tell you what your supply type is - TT, TN-S or TN-C-S.
I had the same type of incident recently when a Miele repairer returned a washing machine; and wouldn't plug it in since the impedance at the sockets was 134 ohms.
The customer phoned me, I found the system was TT, I phoned the repairer - he'd never heard of TT, according to him the impedance at the sockets (Zs) should between 1 and 2 ohms, he returned and plugged in the machine. I asked the customer to have them return the fee for my service. I think that these companies are now being instructed to test at the sockets but they haven't really been given information on TT installations.

Regards

Or on what units polarity is measured in.

What is the unit of polarity, BTW?
:LOL: I think its measured in distance from the north and south poles, plus or minus a bit :D

But seriously for those not in the loop Polarity is not a quantity and as such has no measure by unit

Do you have a RCD or 'trip switch' between your service fuse and your fusebox? If you do, does it have 100mA printed on it somewhere?

Also, do you know if you have an earthing rod outside somewhere, in the ground or maybe under an inspection cover?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back