Polycarbonate Roofing Sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My conservatory is roofed with triple layer polycarbonate sheets, and is to hot in the summer.

I want to paint the inside of the roof with textured emulsion paint to reduce the glare from the sun.

Will the paint damage the polycarbonate sheeting in any way?

Thanks for any advice.

Rod

Sponsored Links
Unless you use a boatload of primer, it will eventually peel off. Why not get some blinds, some reflective sheets for the outside or a swanky air con unit for Xmas :cool:

Air-con is cheap in the winter! Painting your conservatory roof means it is no longer a conservatory. If you don't like it knock it down and build an extension, using as few windows as regs will allow.

Have a look at this website. www.abacusagents.co.uk They have a product called Tec-Sun, I used it in our south-facing conservatory and it has worked a treat. Fitted it myself after a quick demonstration by Peter from Dundee. Very easy to install.

Sponsored Links
My conservatory is roofed with triple layer polycarbonate sheets, and is to hot in the summer.

I want to paint the inside of the roof with textured emulsion paint to reduce the glare from the sun.

Will the paint damage the polycarbonate sheeting in any way?

Thanks for any advice.

Rod

Hi,
Did you get your conservatory roof sorted?
We have started to insulate & plasterboard & skim/artex to the existing glazing bars.
keeps the look of a conservatory from the outside & gives a traditional finish to the inside.
warmer in winter ..cooler in summer

You could even take the sheets off & fit lightweight etenit slates to the outside.

But then it is no longer a conservatory and building regulations apply to the extension as a whole.

Common glazing bars are not designed to support plasterboard or slates, and while they may hold up, the possibility of the bars flexing in the wind, deflecting over time and condensation forming on the underside of the glazing sheets needs to be addressed.

Even if the roof is supported off 4x2 timber, its still may not be stiff enough to stop the finish cracking

But then it is no longer a conservatory and building regulations apply to the extension as a whole.

Common glazing bars are not designed to support plasterboard or slates, and while they may hold up, the possibility of the bars flexing in the wind, deflecting over time and condensation forming on the underside of the glazing sheets needs to be addressed.

Even if the roof is supported off 4x2 timber, its still may not be stiff enough to stop the finish cracking

Glazing bars are designed to take the weight of severe snowfall & gale force winds.

25mm Kingspan leaves an air gap of 25mm for cross flow ventilation to eliminate condensation.

My own conservatory was converted over a year ago & it was the best investment i have made.

It was so warm in there this winter that i had to turn thermastatic valves on rads down to setting 2 & when the heavens open i can now listen to the tv without having volume on maximum.

I live in a conservation area so planning & building regs were needed from the outset.

Gardeners use a white paint-like stuff on their greenhouses to reflect the sun. It seems to be a well-established product. I believe they scrub it off with water in Autumn.

I haven't got a greenhouse myself so I don't use it, but if you ask at a garden centre they should know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back