Pond Building Regulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I am building a new garden pond. Do I need to obtain building permission? Because of gradient of land, the excavation will be 1 metre at front and 1.3 metre at the deepest.

These depths are after a 30 cm concrete raft is put in for the base.

Also, my neighbour has a brick built house 30 cm from the proposed pond. Am I to show consideration to his building's footings/foundations?

Sponsored Links
Whilst building control will not be interested, unfortunatley you will need a party wall agreement to excavate that close to his building. It can cost a fair bit because of the surveyors etc needed and then the extra engineering required to your pond in order to shore up his footings.

You may be lucky and find his building has decent depth footings at a metre but need to be prepared before you start if that turns out not to be the case.

Prob best to move this to the building forum as there lots more people there with building near boundaries knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back