pond planting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have just finished doing some work on my fish pond,now I need to plant up in the fixed planters,problem is the amount of aquatic soil I need about 8 to 10 bags, approx £80 to £100. I was told by a member of staff in an aquatic center to use John Innis no1 for seeds as it was just as good and about a 1/3 of the cost,any comments please,Thanks Reg

Sponsored Links
I have used garden soil , plants seem to like it

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion of useing garden soil, the only problem is the plants may like it but will the fish? mainly because of fertiliser and addertives in it

nothing wrong with my fish they seem ok with it

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, good to hear all is well in your pond, and as I have not had any other replies, for or against I will give it a go, Thanks

bump

I dont have any soil / plants in my new pond, in my last one though I did just use a basic light compost with gravel on the top

Hi, thanks for your idea I think I will try both ideas Ive been given

I've always used plain garden soil (mine's heavy clay). You'll know yourself whether you've put any odd chemicals in it and a bit of fertiliser won't hurt anything. Just remember to put a couple of inches of pebbles or heavy chippings on top to stop the fish digging or washing it all out. Supposedly fertiliser will make the algae worse but I've not found it makes any odds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back