porch and side extension roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder made this porch but it looks like each side of the roof pitch is different size. is he right ? i have counted the number of bricks on each side from the middle and there is definitely an angle disproportion.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
The angles look similar. However he seems to have shortened the one gable rake in anticipation of the roof changing direction? Similar to this....

full

Thank you noseall for quick response. this is the finish product which is not what i was expecting. can that be rectified without damaging roof?

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 180
That looks cack especially as there is no soffit overhang on the gable. No cloak or mortar bedding on the verge tiles either. Amateurish. That ain't no builder.

Sponsored Links
Looks like he's joining a flat roof to a pitched roof. Unless the op wants the flat roof ceiling 300mm lower, then that's the way it has to be

Looks like he's joining a flat roof to a pitched roof. Unless the op wants the flat roof ceiling 300mm lower, then that's the way it has to be
Yes, but there was nowt stopping him giving a wee bit of overhang to the gable barge, in order to make it look continuous. Like wot we did.....
Anyhoo since when have flat roofs had hip ridge and regular tiles on them....?:mrgreen:

The verge had been stopped in line with the side of the house and built plumb, so it's been done like that for a reason not for the fun of it. And it looks suspiciously like the pitch will meet a flat roof at a higher level and the builder can't alter the laws of physics with a bit of barge board. :p

Perhaps the OP could elaborate on what exactly is going on?

the builder can't alter the laws of physics with a bit of barge board. :p
No, but the builder could easily have allowed for the gable barge over-hang to meet the adjacent fascia and improve the look by about a zillion percent.
There appears to be no mortar bedding on the (gable) verge tiles, no cloak and no finial at the fascia abutment. Lousy and zero thought to largely cosmetic finishing.

I can't realy see what's going on, OP how about a pic or two showing things in context? And from further away.

Hi thanx for all your comments. I will send more pictures later on this evening. I did want an overhang but the site manager was not there to supervise the roofers.

Hi here are pictures as requested. The builder is coming tomorrow so I need to be sure of what to tell him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 143
Well that's one way I suppose

The fascias of the eaves along the front and gutter, and those around the side of the porch should be level/in line. They don't look like they are

There is no undercloak under the ends of the tiles along that black barge board - so that's wrong and the timber will rot in no time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back