Porch roof construction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

I'm currently stripping back our new (to us!) 1930s property in preparation for some building works, rewire etc. There is a small brick cavity built porch (approx 1x1.5m) attached to the property which has a pitched, tiled roof. It's unclear if this is part of the original build or added afterwards. I've today removed the lath and plaster ceiling and now have access to the void which is where my questioning leads:

We'd like to remove the 4 beams that span the porch so we can board, insulate and light the vaulted part and glaze the 'gable' (if that makes sense). I'm trying to understand what the four beams are for structurally. The rafters appear to be 'cut' to the brick and sit on the outer part of the cavity. The beams rest on the inner brick cavity and have a single nail joining them to the rafters. As far as I can tell they do not appear to be providing anything structural, possibly only in place for the lath to mount to? They could of course be tying the two edges of the roof together! We do have a structural engineer working on some plans on other parts of the house so of course I will consult, I'm just inpatient and like to understand these things!! Obviously if nothing else needs to be done and they can come out because they were just there to support the lath then that will save some pennies too.

I've attached a couple of photos to try and show the parts in question. In the second photo, the beam is in the foreground and the rafter in the background.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
IMG_8359.jpg
IMG_8355.jpg

Sponsored Links
Those "beams" are ceiling joists, and they stop the bottom of the roof spreading outwards.

You can only safely remove them if there is a ridge beam at the top which is supported on a wall at each end and on which the rafters sit.

But, on such a small span, they could potentially come out if the rafters are well fixed to the wall plate, which is in turn secured to the wall, which is itself a solid 9" thick with sound mortar.

Where's my popcorn... I can feel another roof spread thread coming on...

Sponsored Links
You can only safely remove them if there is a ridge beam at the top which is supported on a wall at each end and on which the rafters sit.
Just to add for the OP's benefit: A ridge beam is not the same as a ridge board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back