Portable 230/240v power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am guessing this is best put here as it involves 230/240 v supplies.

I have a 3000w output generator of no name (old- no stickers or stamps) which has 2 connections on it as the builders use - the round style sockets.

1 x 110v and 1 x 230v

I want this to feed 230v to the back of my van to power key cutting machines and one tool battery charger.

Effectively I want 3 x household type sockets installed into my van.

I have no cables for this generator, and I also want the option of powering these sockets from a customers mains supply via an extension cable.

How would I best acheive this without electrocuting myself or anyone else who is nearby and without inadvertently making my van 'live' ?

There is an earth attachment point on the generator to which I assume a spike is attached to insert into the ground, but of little use on tarmac, but on tarmac I should be in reach of a mains supply via extension lead to my sockets.

Is there a safe way of connecting the generator to 3 x sockets
Is there a safe way of connecting external mains to 3 x sockets
That I can change around as required.

I dont want to have cables with exposed live from generator or extension leads to plug into something to power my sockets, as I can see this being an accident waiting to happen. And I guess I will need some type of protective device between me and the incoming connection.

Thanks

Gerry

Sponsored Links
Your best option would be to have one single socket off the generator and run one appliance at a time. This would provide electrical isolation and does away with the need for an earth spike so you can use the genny anywhere.

You could try something like this if you wanted to plug the extension you linked to into a house. This would limit your extension to 13A.

I think ricicles idea sounds better!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
As already pointed out the scenario is similar to people with tents or caravans and I would expect similar methods will allow safe operation.
So in van you need say three sockets and these will either plug into house or generator.

First the house since you can't be certain that the house already has a RCD then I would use a RCD plug
p4771960_l.jpg
and this will reduce any problems to within an acceptable level.

The generator needs earthing to the van. It will come under section 717 of BS7671:2008
this again shows 7e if required see below:-
Key to Figures 717.1 to 4
1a Connection of the unit to a supply through a transformer with simple separation
1 b Connection of the unit to a supply in which the protective measures are effective
1c Connection to an LV generator set in accordance with Section 551
2 Class II or equivalent enclosure up to the first protective device providing automatic disconnection of supply
6 Socket-outlets for use exclusively within the unit
7 Main equipotential bonding in accordance with Regulation 717.411.3.1.2 7a to an antenna pole, if any
7c to a functional earth electrode, if required
7d to the conductive enclosure of the unit
7e to an earth electrode for protective purposes, if required
8 Protective devices, if required, for overcurrent and/or for protection by disconnection of supply in case of a second fault
10 Socket-outlets for current-using equipment for use outside the unit
13 Current-using equipment for use exclusively within the unit
14 Overcurrent protective device, if required 14a Overcurrent protective device, if required
15 Overcurrent protective device
16a RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1 for protection by automatic disconnection of supply for circuits of equipment for use outside the unit
16b RCD for protection by automatic disconnection of supply for circuits of equipment for use inside the unit
18 Main earthing terminal or bar

I would say normally an earth is not required is generator is close to your van only if you have it away from van do you really need an earth. I would myself have a steel cable which will bolt onto generator and van so it forms both earth between the two and anti-theft device. Electric wise 4mm earth wire is enough.

There are 4 pages of regulations just for vans like you are using can't really cut and paste all on here.

So I cant just buy the above 3 socket kit, fit a blue socket to an extension lead and use that to use a customers electricity supply ?

Ref generator earthing - how does any current go to ground if you earth it to the van ?

Or is this working the opposite way - genny supplies something inside the van which has a fault - so the earth link to the generator carries current from the van > generator > earth ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back